4x6 label roll/z-fold pile holder

So I finally started an Etsy store with some of the geekier stuff I’ve been making and it took off, so I invested in a thermal printer for 4x6 mailing labels. Well, first I invested in the Dymo 5XL, which, DO NOT BUY IT, here’s a nice explanation of why that I sure wish I’d seen before I bought it and had to return it.

Anyway when I bought the label printer that I’ve ended up keeping, it doesn’t have an internal roll, so you can use either roll or z-fold labels. I saw a bunch of plastic holders that would allow you to use either one, but I also had a bunch of random bits of cherry plywood sitting around so I made one instead. Figured someone else here would enjoy this so here’s the SVG:

22_04_09_label_holder

And here’s what it looks like in a very dark corner of the shelf where it’s doing its thing:

Notes:

• This design is for Columbia Forest Products 1/4" cherry ply, which is actually about .2 inches thick. Everything here is designed on a 1/10 inch grid.
  • When you clamp the sides on to the bottom, put the dowel in where it should go to make sure it’s clamping wide enough for the dowel to come in and out. And definitely let it dry overnight before trying to use it.
47 Likes

Thanks for the info and the file. Congrats on your success with Etsy.

5 Likes

Thanks! If we ever get around to getting a label printer, I know where to come for both info and a fun little help.

2 Likes

Also good for impromptu TP roll

3 Likes

Ha. You’d need to scale it up a bit but certainly could work.

2 Likes

Thank you! Been going way better than I thought it would.

1 Like

Oh yeah that’s not too awful of a modification ether xD

2 Likes

Nice share, thanks!

4 Likes

Good job! I’ve had a Dymo 400 for over 10 years and love it.

1 Like

Yeah the old Dymos do not have this “upgrade” - i missed that it was only on this new version, and i was like “Oh, new version plus some labels same price as the old version, perfect.”

Always. Read. The. Reviews.

5 Likes

Saw the manufacturer name Dymo and nostalgia made me Google the name. Was very surprised that the company still makes the old fashioned 3D embossed style labels. Dad passed 45 years ago. On my 12th birthday he gave me a Sears single shot 410 bolt action shotgun and stuck to it a red Dymo label that still reads “Ricky Pegg 12/25/64” Weirdly, those old labels always make me think of him sitting in the living room punching one letter at a time.

13 Likes

Thanks for the share. Very practical.

1 Like

This is great!! I have my folded labels sitting on top of the box they came in. Time for an upgrade!! Thanks so much!!

4 Likes

Ugh. How disappointing to see yet another company heading that direction. For 25 years now I’ve used a number of their products that use D1 labels and I’ve been very happy with them. I hope they drop the DRM from future products or else I’ll have to start looking elsewhere the next time I need a new label maker.

I have always used Dymo brand D1 labels in the past (they weren’t particularly expensive, unlike the Brother labels for a P-Touch machine I used briefly around 2005) but now I may look for third party supplies out of spite.

3 Likes