11 layers total

9 layers of blue acrylic

10.75 x 9.5 x ~2"

Maple front, draft board back

Leather bookbinding hardware

61 Likes

Wow this is amazing, the blue is so effective! :blue_heart:

4 Likes

Beautiful! I don’t think I’d ever realized just how tiny of an area the deep part is :smiley:
I learned to dive on many of those 2000+ shipwrecks!

7 Likes

It looks like a museum display. Very nice.

6 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

This looks amazing! Are you planning on doing any of the other great lakes?

3 Likes

So I made this as a Father’s Day gift for my dad. Within 10 minutes of posting on FB, I was asked to do Superior. Sooooo… I guess Lake Superior is next!

6 Likes

WOW that is really awesome… I can almost see the steam barge Margaret Olwill down there!!

3 Likes

This is stunning! Wonderful job!

4 Likes

Looks like magnets on the corners? What’s the purpose, if so? Looks nice. I think cutting out the text and such and backing it with colored acrylic might look nice and round it up to 10 pounds of acrylic. :grin:

1 Like

Not magnets! Leather Book Binding Screws and washers to hold all of the layers together, no glue!

I thought about more acrylic for the lettering but i thought i used enough of it already lol!

6 Likes

Gotcha! Still looks really nice.

1 Like

“Lighthouses: Lots” I love it! This is so inspiring. Can’t wait to see Lake Superior.

How will it be displayed?

2 Likes

“Lighthouses: Even more than Lake Erie” :laughing:

Nah I’ll be working with the client to design the front for Superior - So I guess we’ll see!

2 Likes

Wow, that is pretty amazing! The effect is really extraordinary!

7 Likes

Those are amazing! I will have to look into those!

1 Like

The Chicago Screws:

And the Washers we use for spacers in between each layer of acrylic:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KQTTXSY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_1YE7QKEYVZSAYEM7CFWY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

4 Likes

That layered blue acrylic is everything!

2 Likes

Nice! I have a similar box of those, but the barrel nuts are not as long!

Thanks also for the washer link!

1 Like

I think the fact that I frosted (aka sanded with high grit sandpaper) the back of each layer is what makes it for me! My first go around with a bathymetric map I didn’t frost and it didn’t look as good. It didn’t look BAD just not as good.

(information blurred out on here because its a TINY lake with few homes around it and I didn’t want my BiL’s family cabin to be disturbed…just in case…

5 Likes