5 x 10 Sheet earsavers

Hello. I didn’t have any big sheets of acrylic, so I made a file for the 5 x 10 size acrylic sheet. I was able to get 14 on a sheet. When I print them I ignore the score layer and it prints 1 sheet in about 7 minutes. I was also able to put 3 5 x 10 sheets vertically in the laser and cut 3 at a time.

I left a 5 x 10 rectangle on the file to help with alignment. Just ignore it when you’re ready to cut.

I hope these files help someone.

Attached is an SVG and AI file for editing.
5 x 10 sheet 2.ai (734.8 KB) 5 x 10 sheet 2

20 Likes

I was wondering if this might workout?
earsaver2

9 Likes

That would probably work great. Just stick one side through the hole and wrap it around the half circle. Great job!

Thank you. I just randomly ordered 5x10 sheets because I’m a new owner and that’s all I have. This file will help me out!

1 Like

I was thinking zip ties as they would allow flexing that is needed for folk with longer hair,

1 Like

I made mine bend. Is there any reason not to do this? I figured since everyone was engraving, making a bendable one was no worse for sanitizing. I am going to make a batch for a friend and see how they like them. Feel free to adjust. Love the D cut out for the extras. May have to add that on the next batch. This one takes an hour to make.

earSHEET

3 Likes

Great idea! you should be able to just grab the "D"and bit of line off the other as they are just sitting there extra.

I tried that, but i found that the hinge pulled my hair, and I don’t have much hair. LOL

Living hinges in acrylic won’t survive repeated flexing, especially with the longitudinal loads.

I honestly don’t think acrylic is the best material to use for these. There is lots of other material that works much better and has a natural flex plus durability.

Suggestions?

1 Like

I worried that anything other than acrylic can’t be sanitized. Wood products would be too porous to be disinfected.

1 Like

i just saw this, but I’ve been using 1/32 inch impact modified acrylic from here https://www.delviesplastics.com/p/1_32_Clear_Acrylic.html for my local hospital. the flex really helps them and its soft enough to be cut by scissors so I’m not afraid of it snapping.

1 Like

I am experimenting with the Celastic. Only 1 mm thick (what I have, but thicker is sold) it is flexible and strong and holds up better to heat, I am thinking that something more like a belt and buckle might work better and take advantage of the flexibility.

I found from using this once that the straightline vertical boundaries between earsavers are actually two lines, resulting in a double-pass for each of those boundaries. It didn’t seem to matter because of the masking material, but it still bothered me, so I went in and removed the second pass for each of them.

5x10_1035d563198f9a8ea8bd17f5a08a3917d9affd04_optimized

:smiley: I noticed that the first time I cut some but then I was creating different sizes - 8x12, 12x12, 11x14, etc so I removed them but I haven’t done any 12x20 sheets (will start those this weekend). So I’ll use this one.

Next I have to do a set for 4x12 since I’ve got a lot of 12x24" that I’m going to have to trim 4" off to fit in the GF.

You mean like this? :slight_smile:

4x12_GF_EarSavers.pdf (1.2 MB)

Excellent. Hadn’t gotten to using cutoffs yet so hadn’t gotten to this. Saves me a bunch of time. Thanks!

1 Like

I see an AI file here, but is there a separate sag file? I’m an extremely novice Inkscape user and I can’t figure out how to open this file in Inkscape to upload into the GF interface and cut. I have an order for ear savers and I need to use some of my 5x10 stock to fulfill it. thanks!

1 Like

*svg file

1 Like