50$ a month for premium?

When it is $50 and this Stunt offer is over , Its going to be $50 and I wont recommend it to anyone.

1 Like

Haha it’s funny to me how basic concepts are so hard to grasp for people…some people refuse to believe facts that are placed in front of them. Here’s a real easy, low level comprehension example: Say you live on a two lane street, in an urban area. No room for more people to move, so the traffic remains consistent, if more people do move in, it’s because they’ve moved onto the block over from you, but they don’t use your street.

Easy.

Now say the local officials decide, hey, we’ve noticed a handful of people in your neighborhood commute to the exact same place or areas that are similar, so we’re adding a third road, specifically for them, they don’t even have to use your road anymore, and this doesn’t take away from the road you’re used to at all! Life will continue to be exactly what you’re used to assuming you’ve been here for more than a few months.

If I pay for higher bandwidth of internet, this doesn’t mean that my neighbor is now seeing a decrease in their speeds, right? We aren’t all eating from the same cookie. I can go on and on with comparisons.

@shop actually, if you remove the code, it does default to $50, so if you want to pay that, you can :slightly_smiling_face: Whether this is, how you’ve mentioned, a bait maneuver, or their actual intentions (I’ve actually considered this several times), I can’t say.

3 Likes

No. You already got moved to faster servers as noted in the August update. If you opt in to the premium subscription, then you’ll get moved to even faster ones. But NOBODY is being “put on garbage servers.” We’re ALL on better servers than we’ve been on for the previous 3 years.

5 Likes

I can’t even fathom where you are getting this from. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Someone over on FB said it really well. I’m paraphrasing, because I can’t find the post now, but they basically said it’s like Glowforge is giving every GF owner a free scoop of ice cream, and people who opt in to the premium get a second scoop. And now everybody’s yelling, “HEY, GLOWFORGE IS TAKING AWAY MY ICE CREAM!”

SMH.

18 Likes

So admittedly the timing isn’t ideal for this announcement, given the issues with the servers over the past week or two. I can definitely see why it feels like non-subscribers will be on failing servers. But before we declare the servers “Garbage Servers,” let’s give it a few days and see if things have stabilized. GF says they’ve found/fixed the issue. For the record, the servers are Google’s servers anyway.

I am not 100% behind the subscription model, but I also think this isn’t the end of times. Your server should not currently be any slower than it was a few weeks back when they upgraded all of us. It should remain in this state after the subscription model starts.

2 Likes

I commented on this in my last post, but there has been a lot of grumbling about the server slowdown and how it has impacted people. I think announcing that you can pay more for a faster server is ill-timed and that’s why people are taking that especially poorly.

4 Likes

Well hopefully it never will, but it certainly could. That is the point of net neutrality. If Xfinity decided tomorrow to slow down traffic bound for app.glowforge.com they can do that at a click of a mouse. You’d have a hard time even proving they did it, except that noting that your traffic got de-prioritized. Xfinity without NN rules in place can turn around and say to their customers, if you want full priority on our network to GF, then they could charge you extra.

1 Like

right, but that’s an *XFinity issue, not a GF issue. one that you’d need to take up with Xfinity. GF could complain, too, but it’s still not something that GF would do to it’s users. unless it’s Xfinity trying to bribe GF by saying they’ll slow speeds if GF doesn’t pay up. but even then, it’s Xfinity doing the bad deed, not GF.

remember, my comment was a response to this statement. nothing about this is net neutrality. lots of vendors offer different levels of speed and/or processing power for different costs. if we’re defining “net neutrality” to mean “everything on the internet is one single cost for everyone and everyone only gets one option,” maybe it does?

1 Like

I get that. And clearly GF wouldn’t want to do it as there is no benefit to them of creating a slow lane (as opposed to ISPs that essentially use this for extortion of higher fees as you note - not bribery it’s extortion if you demand a bribe…).

And yes, you are correct, they are confusing the terms.

(as was i, yes, extortion).

I guess you should have researched what you were buying since it very clearly stated it was cloud dependent.

8 Likes

This was a dumb business move because its all over the Net now that Glow Forge is charging $50 to use there machines , Sales are going to go way down as everyone tries to stomach adding that $50 price tag to the sales pitch.

Other Laser Companies are already on No fees .

For the record I am going to pay this $14.95 not without ill feelings .
The timing is wrong, the presentation stinks and it all feels like threats.

The Number of servers that have been down, displays not showing , graphics not appearing is at an all time high as we all got bumped to secondary servers, it all makes sense now.

I did research it, and I was aware of this, like I’ve said. And it again, I say it still feels like a slap in the face. Maybe even just grandfather us in, but don’t make us pay like that.

They ARE NOT charging $50 or any amount for that matter “to use their machines”. You have to stop this line of thinking right now. If you want some extras, over and above what you got with your initial purchase, then you can opt to pay for that. You DO NOT need to pay any monthly fee. Tell your friends, because apparently there are a few out there who just keep repeating this same old nonsense.

9 Likes

If you do not use the code than it is $50 .
I do understand as i am on the Forum but what is going on the Internet is different .

I really did like the idea of those of us that have been with Glow Forge a couple of years be Grand Fathered in that would have been Respect full . There no class in this move.

But, once again, may I remind you there is no charge if you do not want the “premium” service. There will be no change to what you have now other than the beta features will no longer be available.

4 Likes

Nobody’s making you do anything- nothing says you have to pay another single dime.

2 Likes

The server thing really is the LEAST interesting out of this whole deal. Like, argue whether it’s worth $50 a month to be able to draw some shapes, sure. But this nonsensical vitriol about “being slowed down” or “GARBAGE SERVERS” is just so ridiculous. It’s been said again and again, and here it comes one more time: Nobody is being slowed down. This is not about net neutrality FFS.

How hard is to understand? Everywhere in life you have to pay more to get more. My Internet service comes in a variety of speeds. The faster ones cost more. If I want more channels in my TV subscription, it costs more. If I want a laptop with more memory or a bigger iPhone, it costs more. The 63" TV costs more than the 42" model. The Glowforge Pro costs more than the Glowforge Basic. Google Cloud charges more for faster servers. In none of these cases, are people screaming and waving pitchforks that the jerks at Toshiba SHRUNK MY TV! Somebody brought up this example on the other thread as well:

Elon did not put my car on GARBAGE SPEED just because there’s an option to pay more to go faster.

Out of all the things in this announcement to complain about, the Fast Lane thing makes the absolutely least sense to get your undies twisted over. And please just stop saying things that aren’t true!

11 Likes

I hate to break it to you bud: But the servers over the last 2 Week have sucked dramatically , and now I understand Why ,

We were bumped to a different set of servers a sub par set of servers that cost me money , time , frustration and updates that almost broke my machine .

I have TWO machines and when they both stop working I know when Bad things are happening faster than most.

Its been awful.

1 Like