6" Inline Infinity Fan Just Installed - Now Cutting issues... Any Help?

HELP! Ugh… I just installed my Infinity 6" fan and now I am having cutting issues. The very first cut was awful! I am cutting on Baltic Birch. I have never had an issue cutting on this. I use Med. Maple Plywood with cutting at 158/100. After I installed the Infinity Fan it seemed like the laser was a ton wider - I have always been able to make pretty intricate cuts, and now it’s charring the top of my wood, I am getting flare-ups, and it doesn’t even touch the bottom of the wood in spots (1/8"). I have selected the “GF Air Filter Attached” and I have the Infinity fan on full power. What am I missing?

don’t think that has anything to do with the fan. it looks like your laser is out of focus. did you set focus before you ran the job?

3 Likes

How is the smoke in the bed when you start cutting? I just installed my fan this weekend. My first test, within a seconds I could see way more smoke than usual in the bed. So I stop the cut, and I removed the regular exhaust fan and cleaned the honeycomb screen. Didn’t reinstall the exhaust fan, but reattached the external fan and haven’t had any issues. The exhaust fan was really dirty (been doing a lot of cuts the last week since I cleaned it) and I think it was blocking airflow.

Yes - Always hit “set focus” before I make any cuts. I have no idea what is going on.

Well - this morning I cleaned that little fan that attaches to the back of the laser with the electrical spray cleaner. So… it was pretty clean.

Not that fan, the fan that is in front of the hole you are venting out of. If that’s dirty, or not spinning properly, that will cause a blockage. That is a much bigger fan than the one on the laser.

But just look at how much smoke is in the bed when you cut. Is it getting cloudy in there? If there is too much smoke it’s like turning your high beams on in a fog. The laser is a focused light, and too much smoke will cause issues. If there isn’t any more smoke in the bed than usual, I’m not sure what the problem is.

Ok… I am going to go do another clean, check all the vents and fans… I’ll keep you updated. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out!

I was having similar issues till I discovered that magnets can mess up even a clean fan,

Also I found it very easy to put the lens back cup side down (instead of up,) and that can really mess up a cut.

Also I would try to leave the main fan on and see if it helps, not likely but looking at the Glowforge when the infinity fan was blocked somehow is a sacrifice to Murphy that is worth the effort,

3 Likes

That’s true, I was just going off the assumption that the only change was the fan. I had the same issue this weekend with my new fan running on full power, but I noticed the excess smoke right away and figured the other fan was causing a blockage. It was.

this was my next thought.

3 Likes

UPDATE! Perfect Cuts now! I had cleaned my lenses this morning and then installed the fan… my first cuts were charring and I thought it had to have been the fan, BUT, I didn’t put that lens back in properly and it just fell out when I went to clean it again! SO thankful for the help of this community!! Lens in in correctly and perfect cuts… and most of all QUIET!

11 Likes

UPDATE! Perfect Cuts now! I had cleaned my lenses this morning and then installed the fan… my first cuts were charring and I thought it had to have been the fan, BUT, I didn’t put that lens back in properly and it just fell out when I went to clean it again! SO thankful for the help of this community!! Lens in in correctly and perfect cuts… and most of all QUIET!

2 Likes

yes I was very happy with my inline fan and how much quieter my office was.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Nice, glad it was an easy fix!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.