6mm black laser proof mdf

Hi,
I’ve attempted to cut on 6mm mdf which is marked laser proof but I just can’t get it to pass all the way through. Has anyone tried to cut this thick and what settings would you suggest?

Laser “proof” or designed to be cut on a laser? The former might indicate its resistance to being cut!

There is a thick draftboard setting that would be my first thought.

8 Likes

Considering it is both MDF and a different color than usual I would take them at their word as being laser proof. Even 3mm normal MDF takes a bigger blast than usual and is about the dirtiest stuff you can cut.

1 Like

The 6mm black melamine-coated MDF I have cuts at 125/full on a GF Pro. It’s really tough to get through. I don’t know that a Basic/Plus can do it in one pass. I have no idea if that’s the same material you’re working with, though.

5 Likes

Gotta agree on that one. “Laser Proof” implies you CAN’T cut it.

4 Likes

Future battle armor?

2 Likes

Or a do-it-yourself low-rise crumb tray?

1 Like

Come to think of it, you could get it damp with alcohol and then press mold it with a bit of heat and make scale armor, The first one would take some work but after that knock them out pretty quick.

2 Likes

Oh? And how would you cut out all those scales? Not with your LASER! :man_facepalming:

1 Like

A bit of alcohol and you have a bucket of mush, One cup of mush per mold and then clamp and cook till the alcohol is driven out, :grin:

2 Likes

Thank you for all of your advice. I think my English was not so good here, despite being English born and bred! Looking at the mdf label again, it states its laser “COMPATIBLE”! I’m going to try all of the suggestions and will let you know what happens!

4 Likes

Oh good :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.