7 Layer Dolphin

I know it’s been awhile since I last posted on here with a new design. Once again work gets in the way of Glowforge’ing, but this time for good. :slight_smile: I have been in the military for over 17 years as an enlisted member but just recently I was selected for officer training…so there has been an excessive amount of training and courses to complete before July…but I was able to sneak this one in. Hopefully I find more time to complete a few more designs…

This 7 layer dolphin measures 18.5" wide by 10.8" in height. Layers were made using 1/4" maple, mahogany, and walnut, with the 5th layer being painted blue.

48 Likes

I really like this!

5 Likes

this is very nice. I have several of your items on Etsy already favorited.

6 Likes

Beautiful as always!

Congratulations on being selected for officer training!

10 Likes

Very nice design. :sunglasses:
One vet to another your service is recognized and appreciated. 17 years - you have carried a proud tradition. I’m sure you will make a fine officer. Congratulations!

7 Likes

very cool work, I like the tail a lot though some of it gets busy at times, but also, a lot to look at , great job

3 Likes

Beautiful! And thank you so much for your service!

4 Likes

This turned out really nice!

5 Likes

Going the LDO route? Marines or navy?

2 Likes

Great work! Who doesn’t love dolphins.

5 Likes

I’m in the Canadian Army. We call it CFR (Commission From the Ranks).

2 Likes

Great to see another piece from you. Nice work!

3 Likes

The coral detail is especially nice!

3 Likes

Always love seeing these - great job!

3 Likes

Love this design. Any hints on keeping the layers lined up? My glueups always seem to slip just enough to be noticeable.

2 Likes

You have such an amazing talent for this, love your work so much.

4 Likes

I only glue 2 layers together at a time. I use a few MDF sheets and some hand held weights as my “vice”. I line up half of the piece and place the weights, then make sure the second half didn’t move then cover and place the weights.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t 3M tape make it easier? No slippage, and if you just lightly place the pieces before pressing down, you can still move it to make sure it’s perfect (well, as perfect as one can get).

2 Likes

I guess that depends on how thick the 3m tape would be. If too thick there would potentially be visible gaps between some of the layers.

4 Likes

3M tape is really thin. I use the 467MP and don’t notice any gap at all, thinner than using glue even. And it has a nice strong bond.

4 Likes