900 Laser Cut Tags for 450 Cookies #GSL18

My wife got a commission to create 450 cookies as a Save The Date gift and I got to create the Save The Date tag and our marketing tag behind it. I printed tag sets on our laser printer and then laser cut details out of them plus the outlines. Quite a process to align all those cuts.

My wife baked the chocolate chip and macaroon cookies and then tied the tags on.

Here’s the finished result.

22 Likes

that was a very cool idea and I love how it came out.

1 Like

so did you print the text that you wanted and then stuck the sheets into your GF to finish it off?

That is one impressive pile of cookies. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

450, that’s a lot! how long did it take you to cut out each one? i presume you were cutting out big sheets.

i’ve done some small wood tags before, but only one side and only about 100 of them.

2 Likes

Nice job! But I think I’m going to need to inspect some of those cookies… for science.

7 Likes

Yes. I created an .AI file that included my print art and cut lines along with some alignment dots.

1. I printed the sheets with print art and alignment dots, but cut lines hidden.
  2. Then I turned off print art and turned on cut lines with alignment dots and saved as an SVG. I imported the SVG to the GFUI.
  3. I put each sheet on the Glowforge. I used magnets to mark where my lower left corner should be and another below the right corner. 4. Then I cut the alignment dots to see how far off I was and then shifted, cut, shifted, cut until I was aligned and then turned off alignment dots and cut the shapes.
  4. Rinse the bits and repeat.
2 Likes

I cut 19/sheet of card stock. So it took a while. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Only took 00:1:46 per sheet. Most of the time was alignment and cleaning up the little bits after each cut.

2 Likes

Yum!

Here they are prior to the crowd leaving the session.

BTW, Simon Sinek was phenomenal, as usual.

8 Likes

Big project … Great job!

1 Like

Holy cow! One heck of a project to try to pull off! That little stack of tags…whew! :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks. That stack was just about 50 tags. My wife says that we were closer to 525 cookies with 2 tags each. The Glowforge makes this possible for the masses. Amazing.

4 Likes

Thanks. Thrilled with the result.