A box fit for Pandora herself

I decided I’d step up my box game a bit and went for a classic pattern. And I mean REALLY went for it.

I did get a little tight on tolerances with the inset tray so I need to remake it with a little more wiggle room, but I’d been considering a redesign, anyway, splitting it in two and adding something to make it easier to lift out. So… I guess I’ll do that.

Otherwise, I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. Now I just need to fill it with all of the evils of the world!

ETA: one more picture to really show off the obscene zigzaggy goodness

55 Likes

Very nice but Pandora had a jar. :wink:

7 Likes

I know, but I haven’t figured out how to make a jar with my laser… yet.

Also, shush! Not everyone knows about translation errors!

11 Likes

Awesome results! I’ve got a Greek key pattern that I want to play with, but I love the way you’ve got them inset. (Never would have thought to do that with it.) :grinning:

3 Likes

My next step is trying to do a Greek key inlay where the inlay piece looks like the stroke between the two sides. So a thin super zigzaggy piece. Should be interesting.

3 Likes

It’s just breathtaking!

3 Likes

That is gorgeous! Does the lid have a lip?
I love the way the you did the clear top too!

3 Likes

This kind of work is where a laser really shines. I would never consider such a design utilizing standard woodworking techniques. Nicely done.

3 Likes

Wow, that’s really nice!

3 Likes

Truly fantastic! That is gorgeous execution on that idea.

3 Likes

Very nice!

Happy Cake Day!

2 Likes

The lid has a second layer that serves double duty. It extends just inside the middle opening of the top layer to give the acrylic a lip to rest on (you can sorta see it through the engraved acrylic edge) while the outer edge of it is sized so that it fits just inside the opening of the box, creating a tight press fit.
I’ll take pictures of it later for better detail.

ETA: pictures!

8 Likes

Omigosh! This is stunning! I absolutely LOVE the way you used the interlocking design like an inlay. It is truly beautiful and I can only aspire to such fine technique. Pandora will be over the moon about this one. :wink:

2 Likes

If she saw this she would have tossed the jar

4 Likes

Oh what, so now it’s MY fault she opened her jar full of the worst of humanity?
k0jPoN6

Look, I made the box as soon as I could. There were some unforeseeable delays in production!:grin:

4 Likes

But hope remains.

1 Like