A box of hearts

I finally tried the Columbia Forest Products mdf core ply. The 1/4 Red Oak cuts like butter with thick proofgrade settings – I increased the speed by about 10 to reduce the tiny bit of char.

Lesson learned - Finish the plywood first, then mask.

Gotcha - This particular CFP ply only has the named veneer on one side, the 2nd side appears to be good quality birch. Big surprise if one is expecting the obverse and reverse to be the same, a la proofgrade. As others have pointed out, CFP has other products that have the named veneer on both faces. I ordered the wrong stuff, hence my surprise.

38 Likes

There are a handful of 2-sided CFP ply products available. I’ve found the quality to be really inconsistent, though, at least from my local supplier. I had to return 2 of the 5 shipments I’ve ordered due to extreme warping, and excessive divots and scarring.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Columbia-Forest-Products-1-4-in-x-1-ft-x-1-ft-7-in-Mahogany-PureBond-Plywood-Project-Panel-2-Sided-10-Pack-5145/313818032

2 Likes

That is a beautiful design. :heart_eyes:

An alternative is to use Baltic Birch and apply a veneer to both sides in the places where you need it or two thinner sheets to accomplish the same goal.
Parts like your handle would not be hurt to be double thick. :upside_down_face:

I am plotting a similar piece and trying to figure how to do it in solid wood to avoid “plyedge” but it needs to be 10"x18",

2 Likes

Seemed to fit the project well. Just in time for the 14th…

3 Likes

Great work! Love the project!

2 Likes

It’s a lovely box! Where’s the banana?

4 Likes

It’s inside the box. :innocent:

8 Likes

Beautiful!!!

3 Likes

I think you can order certain species with the veneer on both sides, like walnut. It just costs more.

1 Like

It’s lovely! Really like the design.

2 Likes