A tractor repair using laser cutter

This project was a not a typical crafty one but a very functional and significant cost saving one. Took 1 hour. My Kubota tractor bonnet (plastic) front attachment right point cracked off. This was leading to serious distress on the rest of the bonnet. So I hand traced the same [unbroken] attachment point

from the left side (it was a mirror image of right side) using clear sheet of overhead transparency. I then placed the transparency on the Glowforge bed and traced it …exported it to inkscape…“cleaned” up the lines…added two strategically located holes to attached it the tractor…then uploaded the file to dashboard and cut the shape out of thick acrylic. I also cut out the shape of the piece that was broken off and cemented (Weld-on 4) to the main piece for great support. I then drilled two holes in surrounding area of the tractor and bolted the replacement part on. Worked great.

final product

63 Likes

Practical cut FTW. Nice!

6 Likes

Love it.

4 Likes

Fantastic job!!

4 Likes

You’ll be so satisfied now every time you’re tractoring!

5 Likes

Well done !

3 Likes

I love being able to create stuff on the glowforge for stuff around the house. Not only were you able to make something you needed, but it saved you a trip to town, even if it took you as long to design/cut it, chances are the store/dealer wouldn’t have that part. And now you have it and can make more if need be! Great job!

4 Likes

Definitely! Me too. The part that I would have needed to buy was LARGE (~18" x 36"). It would have cost a few hundred dollars. I would have had to order from the dealer. There was one small but critical and integral area of the larger part which was broken…and now repaired!

5 Likes

I think this was fabulous! I know the great feeling you have, having fixed that yourself. Not even because of the huge savings in cost, but just for the pure joy in doing it yourself. I actually helped out with a farming project myself. Not my own farm, but I still felt some accomplishment.

7 Likes

Great practical use! Must have saved a big chunk of money.

5 Likes

Wow… Can’t let the hubby see this. He’s want to start using my GF for his automotive repair stuff!

8 Likes

Nice use of the trace feature! Great project!

6 Likes

Love it!! Worth all your efforts!

3 Likes

Nice mend! A lost art among modern “repairmen” who can only replace parts with new parts.

4 Likes

Wow! Nice!

1 Like

Well done! I’ve found that practical cuts are as satisfying as artistic cuts. Maybe more.

1 Like

What a good idea. I have a Mahindra tractor and the hood attachment points cracked after a high wind. I never considered doing something with the Glowforge for repair. Back to the drawing board.

4 Likes

How often have these types of things happened to everyone? I think it’s brilliant to be able to create practical solutions to difficult scenarios, such as you’ve done here. Congratulations.

Michael

2 Likes

Thank you. I am always looking for applications / issues like this to utilize the Glowforge.

Perhaps in a slightly different, yet similar vein, I will post a few other examples some day of other things I have done with the Glowforge. I have a son with special needs. He likes to build wood products. I have made several jigs to assist in the manufacturing process. While I used to make the jigs using wood working tools, I have now made a few of the jigs using the Glowforge. That approach not only offers better precision, it also enables easier and quicker modifications and upgrades…not to mention easy duplication when needed.

3 Likes