A little bug?

I’m working with one of those annoying purchased patterns that’s made up of 5297 line segments instead of just one continuous curve…

When I import one piece of this pattern, despite it being a bunch of parts I can select it and move it around as a whole in the GFUI.

However, if I copy and paste it, the new object and the original object are no longer treated as groups, which means I have to select each segment individually.

And yes, I know I can draw a box around what I want to select, but 1) if something else is nearby it can make this impossible to do without selecting things I don’t want selected, and 2) the draw a box around stuff functionality frequently doesn’t work for me. I haven’t figured out yet whether this is a browser issue or an interface glitch, because it’s totally random; just comes and goes from moment to moment.

Here’s a sample, in case you need one:
strap 1

5 Likes

I wish they would change the copy/ paste function to make the pasted object appear where the mouse cursor is located like in inkscape instead of over top of the previous object.

2 Likes

Thanks for letting us know about this. The pattern may have been made in a CAD package like AutoCAD or Fusion360. I’ve often seen sketch profiles from those programs result in a large number of individual line segments.

I’ll share the information that drawing a box only works intermittently for you. May I know which browser you’re using? I’ll also share the feedback about how the grouping behavior seems to change after copy/paste is used.

Would you happen to recall the time of day and day of the week you were last working with this design and saw this behavior? That will help us to locate logs while we investigate.

2 Likes

It was today around 5pm central time.

whatismybrowser.com/w/KP26MY5

I wonder if in the meantime you could put a zero width outline around it and group all of it before copy/paste.

3 Likes

Hmmm, didn’t think of that! I’ll give it a try.

Nope, didn’t work. :frowning:

If you could get a zero width outline on a bunch of line segments you should no longer need the line segments and they could be deleted. That would not help everything but it might help a lot.

I only wish I had that option in Inkscape.

1 Like

Not really, because of all the line segments inside the other line segments that are also needed. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

When I load your design into the UI, it can only be moved as one piece if I don’t click anywhere else. If I click on blank space, then back on it, each segment now moves individually.

It’s not a copy/paste issue.

1 Like

There is a work around. If you do a copy from just above and left of where you want the paste to land and then move the original to elsewhere the paste will land on top of where the original was when you used the copy command and not where you moved it to. If you keep moving the new ones out of the way you can keep on pasting.

There are 4 other pieces in the design I loaded, all with similar construction. When first loaded, I can move any of them, including this one, around and position them simply by clicking on them once to select the whole piece, regardless of where else I have clicked in between.

As soon as it is copied and pasted, however, that ability is lost, and I have to either draw a selection box (if it’s working at the time) or hold shift and individually select all the little bits of it.

I’d upload all of them if I didn’t feel it would be coming too close to violating IP…

The copy/paste landing on top of each other isn’t what I’m reporting here, though.

Whelp, all I can say is I can’t move the one you uploaded as one once I have clicked anywhere. You might need to share your complete design directly with support.

Thank you for your browser information as well as the example SVG you provided in your first post. I’ve shared the SVG along with what you’ve described and logs I was able to locate. Our team will investigate and I’ll share an update as soon as possible.

While we’re looking into this, would you please let me know if updating to Chrome 80 leads to any improvement?

Heh. After upgrading, that piece comes in as separate segments to begin with, and I have to select it all in order to move it even before I copy and paste it, just like @eflyguy reported. The other pieces, even though they’re constructed the same way, select as a whole with one click both before and after I copy and paste them. I guess there’s just something about that one piece that’s goofy… :woman_shrugging:

I haven’t had an issue with the marquis select so far, but I’ve been stitching leather all day instead of lasering, so I haven’t spent a lot of time in the UI. I’ll let you know if that problem reoccurs, now that I’ve upgraded.

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

You may find the “Compound Path” feature (in Inkscape or Illustrator) does what you’re looking for.

I just did a quick test with the provided SVG:

1. I opened the SVG
  2. I selected everything
  3. I made it one compound path
  4. Once uploaded, the app treated the compound path as a single object
  5. The same was true of the copy I made

I’m going to close this thread - if the problem reoccurs, go ahead and post a new topic.

1 Like

Last night, around 7 to 9pm central, I ran into this issue again. I couldn’t marquis select and I also was having a really difficult time with click-selecting parts. I cleared my cache and restarted my browser to no avail.

Also, sheesh, it says my browser is out of date AGAIN. :roll_eyes:

whatismybrowser.com/w/RX7WW8L

1 Like