A little "lagniappe"

Also on the to-do list! They’re in mid-city; hope they didn’t get flooded a week or two ago! Parkway Tavern did (best RB po’boy in town).

1 Like

Turkey & The Wolf is great. I work for the same company as Cochon (I work at Pêche, around the corner)
If you’ve never been to Pêche, I recommend that and our other restaurant BUTCHER (right behind Cochon on the side street.)
Right now, I’m all about Kin, which is a killer non-traditional noodle joint. (Think killer ramen and dumplings.)

2 Likes

lol wait was “fried bologna” not a euphemism for something? the scare quotes threw me. i thought everybody ate that growing up but i tend to forget how hillbilly we were, haha.

3 Likes

Oh, they do Sidney’s Saloon! That’s a -5 minute bike ride from my spot. Nice!

(I do know one other female butcher in town. They’re around.)

Yes! Brought the whole family to Pêche several times to fill up the long table behind the glass divider! Delightful!

Also have carried out many bag loads of sandwiches from Butcher to bring home. (It’s a little crowded for sit-in.)

I’ll check out Kin.

Ask for Leighann, and tell her Hi from me!

I realize that I worded that poorly… I mean that she is the only female butcher that I know personally, and am friends with (actually the only friend that I am aware of who became a full-on butcher)

1 Like

New Orleans is experiencing an implosion of restaurant closures right now (a shame, but also inevitable. There were WAY too many opening in weirdly chosen neighborhoods) so even really good (food wise) spots are shutting down. Primitivo was good and now gone. The Cheezy Cajun was good and now gone. Oxalis, Cafe Henri, La Casita, etc.

I’m not sure how Kin is doing, but I worry.

2 Likes

When I was a teenager back in the early 70’s it was available in Ontario. For the last 30 years I have lived in BC and it is not sold out here either. I still remember making a drink we called “Purple Jesus” with it, grape juice and ginger ale (I think). Nasty!

2 Likes

My 13 year old would be in heaven there…his two favorite things to eat…lol

It was a good gamble… I showed the client the proofs-of-concept, so they’re probably going to get some more stuff made for their business. Operation Upsell: success.

6 Likes

Mine is Geordi LaGlowforge.

1 Like

Groovy! I figured I misspelled the name of the character…but you nailed it! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Tried to find Piece of Meat, but perhaps they aren’t open yet?

Sadly, Googling it only brings up news of a woman who choked on a piece of meat.

1 Like

Is there an online menu for Kin?

I’m not sure, I follow them on insta (linked above) and facebook. I think maybe they are transitioning from truck to restaurant? Not totally sure.

The second article on this page has the address and phone number, if you want to keep looking.
http://www.myneworleans.com/New-Orleans-Magazine/August-2017/News-From-the-Kitchens/

Yes, called that number but just got the voicemail for one of the owners. Oh well, I’ll try again next month.

I just messaged her, I’ll let you know if I hear anything. The photos on one of her pages look like they are in the process of fixing up a brick & mortar, so they might be focused on that for now. Sorry… I’m sure you’ll find something yummy somewhere else!

Sadly no… its not a very big menu, though. Here’s their insta: https://www.instagram.com/kinfordindin/

I’m pleased to report that the #1 Best New Restaurant in America 2017 fully lives up to its reputation.

The bologna sandwich (pictured in the link above) was wonderful, but the Collard Green Melt, with it’s down-the-arm drippy delightfulness and tangy zing, knocked my socks off.

Next up: the most jam-packed wedge salad I’ve seen!

Gotta love NOLA.

2 Likes

Glad you checked out Turkey & The Wolf! Good stuff.

1 Like