A little night cap - testing anodized aluminum engrave

My wife on the other hand was blown away when I texted her…

5 Likes

For squaring up small items, I use the off cuts from the 12 x 24 sheets of cheap plywood that I picked up from Lowe’s - nice little even strips. Place one up against the front of the machine, and you can square up a small item against it pretty easily.

Or just run a strip of masking tape along the front of the grid. That actually aligns pretty well with the current printable area, so it makes for quick placement of the sheets.

5 Likes

Probably answered elsewhere already… but laziness… what’s the recommended DPI for laser printing?

1 Like

300 and above will give excellent results. :relaxed:

2 Likes

have you tried a low lpi engrave with a vector score around the outside of the letters?

So basically the same as traditional printing?

1 Like

Yep. Exactly. (You can go higher, but you get good results with 300.)

1 Like

Although as you see, the rastering was noticeable even at 300 (well close up)

1 Like

We might be cross-talking a bit. :relaxed:

DPI, dots per inch, is the printed resolution of a raster image.

LPI, lines per inch, is how many lines are used to color in the raster when the machine engraves.

You want to use a high DPI on the original image when you trace something, in order to get a good trace result. (Or when the camera takes a picture of it so it can engrave it.) Then you can fill it in as much or as little as you want with the LPI (lines per inch) on the engraving.

4 Likes

I have a feeling that this will be a battle as people get very confused with these terms (DPI, PPI, LPI) and how they relate to input and output quality.

5 Likes

Probability is high. (Too many acronyms that sound an awful lot alike.) :wink:

2 Likes

PIH ?

5 Likes

I bet a big thing will be people wondering why their (relatively) low-res jpeg/gif/whatever gets its all its jaggies perfectly rendered at 1300lpi engrave. And a call for the gfui to do automagic anti-aliasing.

6 Likes

Absolutely positively.

2 Likes

I’ve always loved when people had that complaint with scanners. They’ll scan a low-quality source at the highest settings of the scanner, then get mad when they end up with an incredibly faithful and detailed giant scan of a crappy image.

15 Likes

I hate to think how many times I have done that. I guess the old saying “garbage in - garbage out” is true. :relaxed:

4 Likes

My favorite was always “why does the scan look bad?”
“The scan doesn’t look bad; your picture looks bad. The scan looks accurate.”

11 Likes

That’s the tech version of “do these pants make my butt look fat?” :innocent:

14 Likes

exactly.
“I’VE SEEN YOU NEKKID! QUIT BLAMING THE PANTS!”

10 Likes

Wow we’ve really veered. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes