A tabletop "fire" pot for cozy evenings with friends

Someone asked me for a tabletop lantern that evoked hygge, so here’s my first take on it. I’m going to adjust the design for more cutouts, taller candles, and possibly more stylized acrylic.

This was made with Illustrator for .12” (1/8”) cherry plywood, soft green sea glass acrylic, some MDF, and tumbled glass shards from Michael’s (I think) … made to fit up to a 2.5” round candle, I’ve tested it with a tea light in a glass votive, an LED tea light, a yahrzeit candle, and fairy lights.

Would love to hear thoughts!

69 Likes

Well done :slight_smile:

16 Likes

Nice work! I had not heard of sea glass acrylic, I like that!

7 Likes

I like it! Love the little detail lines at the top and bottom of the wood box.

5 Likes

Very nice!

I have done candle holders before, but I love your “fire pot” take on the idea!

What do you use for the “rocks”?

2 Likes

These are small tumbled glass pieces from Michael’s I think … they’re in the floral aisle, with the other round pebbles and glass round drops

6 Likes

I realized I didn’t post final dimensions, this is 5" x 5" x 3" and the acrylic shields stand up to approx. 3.75"

3 Likes

So sweet! I love the frosted acrylic.

If anyone is looking for cordless/bat-op/USB rechargeable lighting ideas for a project like this, I’ve got a couple suggestions from a decade of lantern displays. Check out Prop Scenery for their battery op flame effect lighting. I especially like the Fire Effect Ember (gently flickering orange ember) and the Theatrical Candle(single flickering candlelight). These last for a few days on 8 AA batteries.

If you like USB rechargeables, I love these Flame Effect Lamps. Fairly realistic flame effect, especially when tucked behind glass. They last several hours on one charge.

10 Likes

I was just noticing that, as well…it’s much more ‘turquoise’ colored and of course, frosted…than PG glass green. Lovely color.

3 Likes

Very nice! That color is luscious.

7 Likes

Thanks for those links. I have a ‘thing’ for lighting…

3 Likes

Love your design details especially around the top and bottom, so simple (and scandinavian feeling) but so effective!

6 Likes

The flashback on the backside of the wood looks like ash/smoke from previous fires, like a well-used chimney. It adds to the design. That’s pretty cool.

5 Likes

I also love that sea glass acrylic!

I think I would like to see it in something like mahogany or sapele.

6 Likes

This looks so nice! My fav parts about it: the frosted glass and the details on the bottom of the wood.

4 Likes

Very nice idea and execution! Simple but elegant! Nice work. The frosted elements play nicely with the wood.

4 Likes

This is stunning. I’ll bet putting those fairy lights under the glass pieces ‘and’ a votive candle would look pretty cool too! Well done!!

6 Likes

Beautiful!!! Sea glass green is one of my favorite colors, and resides in our master bedroom and bath.

3 Likes

Oh I’ll try that! I’ll take pictures tomorrow :smiley:

2 Likes

ooh, that sounds cool!

2 Likes