A warning for those considering a GF based business

If you want an open discussion on this thread, I’d recommend moving it to Everything Else or BTM before it gets closed by support as it’s a post stating concerns and experiences rather than a solvable issue.

I have been in the same boat and I haven’t recommended building a business on this machine because of it. Plenty of stories on FB about this happening to other business minded people as well, so the usage and consistency plays a part in the machine’s degradation, especially it seems, if these are being used more than a few hours daily.

Personally I’ve had 3 machines with the third being refurbished by the company, then me refurbishing it myself twice, and a second machine that had issues with laser consistency. Love the convenience this machine offers, but business pillar it is not. Others have opted to use this as a base to get them to the next level, @jbmanning5 is one, where they’re able to start here, but take the next step in growing the business by getting a business oriented machine that can handle the output.

Other companies have been more established with a wider support net, but at a higher enter price. That price gets you what you’d expect, though, so if your laser based business is worth pursuing, Glowforge is the gateway, but not the finish line.

I appreciate you sharing your experience because it’s a reality that gets swept under the rug, especially by GF apologists. Many times these types of posts have people try and invalidate them, but those people don’t understand that a post like this isn’t attacking anything, rather, sharing a variable to consider.

If I knew this sort of thing in advance when planning to start a business, it would give me a moment to pause and consider the outcome. If I ran through the marketing and “feel good” stories shared, I’d more than likely pull the trigger and assume this would last me years. Anyway, it’s a bummer that it’s happened to you, but it’s good that you’ve shared your experience for others to consider.

5 Likes

Thank you! We will consult with GF and see if they have some specifications we can give to the electrician, and we will follow up on this.

I actually did not realize the pro model had features above and beyond the passthrough mode and higher speeds. That is something we will definitely look into. Mahalo!

2 Likes

I’d definitely consider it, especially if you live in a higher temp environment.
(I have to use the Pro - it’s pretty warm here, and it keeps running.)

PS, that koa stack is looking drool worthy :drooling_face: I gotta see if a local mill can get me some…

2 Likes

It doesn’t help that our business relies on the tourism industry, and we currently have no tourists :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, we’ve never had trouble with GF taking care of us. I think the plain truth is that the Plus models just can’t handle the amount of use we’re putting them through. I don;t imagine the company has a trade-in policy for upgrading from Plus to Pro.

1 Like

Laser tube dies suddenly (6 times), laser suddenly gets weak and won’t cut through material (2 times), warranty replacement had a weak laser out of the box (1 time).

1 Like

I wish! I’d grab a second one, even though I don’t need it! :smile:

I have wondered if temperature is playing a role in our issues. The machines never give us temperature warnings or shut down due to temperature issues, but we do live in Hawaii, albeit at a decent elevation.

Are you on our mailing list for the next round of laser ready blanks?

What’s the ambient temperature like? (And breezes don’t count for machines, unfortunately.)

I was thinking that as well, like if it were possible to control humidity and heat in the room the machine is in would increase reliability/ longevity of the machine? It seems like mitigating factor is something to do with its environment as the use case seems to be withing normal expectations. It would be interesting to know why the tube has failed, like was it the power supply? or something along the high voltage lines to the tube itself? Not sure if GF has that information as the repairs are handled by a third party or if that kind of thing is even investigated on their end.

No I’m on Oahu so I’ve got access to it, but just haven’t gone out of my way to actively get any. Thought about signing up, just haven’t done so :man_shrugging:t4:

Generally, in the GF room, high 70’s in the mornings and evenings, getting up to the mid 80’s at the warmest times of the warmest months.

Yep…I’ll bet anything that’s your issue. Did you have a lot of pauses for cooling?

They don’t give out much information on what went wrong in our experience, just “something went wrong and we’re going to send a replacement”. It’s always a situation for us where the Forge works fine, just with no laser beam happening. I assume this is the tube burninng out, but maybe it’s not.

The Pro has a higher wattage tube (45 vs 40, unless you have one of the earlier Plus models which also had 45 watt tubes) so would use a bit less of it’s available power to cut the same stuff you’re cutting now. Plus is spec’d to max out at 75 degrees, with the extra cooling Pro will work at up to 81 degrees. In practice, I’ve been able to push it to 85 for a short job but I wouldn’t try it often for longevity sake. Hope that helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not once in 17 months have we ever had a unit pause for cooling. I’ve read about other people having that happen, but never experienced it. I wonder if the high humidity here tricks the sensors or something.

Hmmmm…I hope not. That pausing is what keeps the tube from burning up.

Never had the machine just stop in the middle of a job? (It’s supposed to stop if the tube overheats.)

Literally not once, in a year and a half of pretty heavy use. A coupe we’ve had a job decide it didn’t want to start when we hit the start button, showing a thermometer icon, but never once in the middle of a burn. It sounds like this might have a bit to do with what we’re experiencing. I wonder why our specific location would prevent the Forges from reading temperatures correctly?