Abnormally loud noise when engraving

I just finished a bamboo engrave & went to start another & my machine is much louder than normal. I actually cancelled the print & restarted it twice- still loud. I turned the machine off & back on- still loud, scary loud. I decided to let it proceed on the 50 min engrave. I am 10 minutes in & its still making the same loud noise. How do I add a video of it here?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.
Discourse is odd about videos, so may have to upload first to Youtube, then link. As for the loud noise, it could be that your exhaust fan is out of balance because of debris on/in the fan. Might take a flashlight and have a look at the fan.

2 Likes

ok, well I guess no video for the time being. I’ve never cleaned/touched the fan yet but it’s probably due. I find it odd that in between engraves it all of a sudden got louder, not gradual. I’m still a newbie so any abnormal noise freaks me out & I think it’ll catch fire, lol. I have some of the recommended electronic cleaner so I guess I’ll give that a try. I have more orders to fill ASAP.

1 Like

I wouldn’t jump to the electronic cleaner just yet. Inspect the fan to see if maybe a piece of masking got stuck to it or a piece of paper is lodged i there.

1 Like

Nothing stuck that I could see. I haven’t masked at all today. It was a tad dirty so I did the cleaner anyways. I just fired it back up to do a test cardboard score & same loud, slightly high pitched noise. No abnormal smoke or smell. I really need to cut some lettering out of wood for a customer today. Do you think it’s safe to proceed? I let it finish the 50 minute engrave earlier & everything was fine except for the scary loud noise.

1 Like

I would double check the intake fan and exhaust fan. If you can’t see any impediments, I would go ahead and cut the file.

1 Like

Hello, @sweetpjewelry I am very sorry to hear about the trouble you are hearing with your Glowforge printer. I went ahead and sent an email out to you since we will be needing a video of the sound you are hearing. Hope to hear back from and thank you for reaching out on the forums! I will go ahead and close this topic as well.