Accuracy

I’m sorry you’re still having trouble. I’d like to have more cases to examine. If you have another problem with the alignment being more than a quarter inch off please take a screenshot including the entire bed and the rulers, and send that to us along with the date and time of the print so I can understand the circumstances behind the trouble you’re having.

1 Like

I will try to make records , I sort of plan on it being off as I work, the question being how much and which way.

Right this moment I have a sheet of plywood that is perhaps .05 difference in height of 25 pre cut leather pieces I want to engrave so they want to be done at one time or in two batches as that is what will fit.

I was planning on cutting my own disks so I would have the 12 holes to place the leather in, but of course that depends on the Glowforge printing in the same place each of three times.

so much for my worries

I tried uploading 12 in one bunch and it did nothing but crashed so I loaded 4 and it worked, so I kept adding as long as it worked with the engrave. I set them up with a cut that was supposed to be bigger than the leather but when I put the leather down they were not so I set the height to what it would be with the leather on top and you can see the result.

Sometimes the accuracy is both great and necessary, so just so you don’t think me a constant complainer, in this case, I had less than a millimeter at three points and everything hit perfectly.!

2 Likes

It looks to me like the differentiating condition is the missing crumb tray. The important software here is the software that maps the image from the lid camera onto the view with the rulers. It has to do two major things: 1. Dewarp from a fisheye and 2. scale the image based on the distance from the camera.

It’s designed to do this for materials whose surface lies within 0-0.5" above the crumb tray since that is a smidge larger than the focus range of the moving lens.

In order to get close, the distance from the top of the crumb tray needs to be known to one hundredth of an inch and since it is not measured by the laser until a print is started, the image relies entirely on an exact material thickness being entered by you. And since it is only one number, it also requires the material to be flat within that same tolerance.

1 Like

And? The crumb tray has never been missing ( yet) in any work I have done. I quite understand about the camera issues but you do bring up an interesting point that it can measure any time it wants and probably more accurately as well. If someone would create the app inside the GFUI it could have an accurate mapping of heights everywhere and from that a viable image of what is there even pixel by pixel if desired.

2 Likes

Thanks @markwal, that’s right.

@rbtdanforth
Thank you so much for providing those photos.

Since this problem is being seen on materials that were purchased from another company, we can’t offer support for prints that don’t come out as expected. I’m going to move it to Beyond the Manual so other folks here can help. Should this happen with a print on Proofgrade materials, please open a new ticket in Problems and Support and we’ll help you right away!

You should speak with the folks at Revell. They have quite a number of sizes and thicknesses of basswood from 1/16 to 1/2 inch by 32nds and 4" to 8" wide with impressive quality control and I have not seen proof grade basswood as yet.

https://shop.glowforge.com/products/medium-basswood-hardwood-finished?taxon_id=11

2 Likes

Thank you I did not see basswood when I was looking. I just bought 10 Revell basswood planks for $7.00 each that are 1/8 x8" X 24" that has allowed me to make those round lights that need the 8" width.

1 Like