Acrylic "Caution" Sign

Final result:

Process:

1. Made image for sign in Inkscape, scoring all lines for the dogs and text (mirror imaged) and then cutting the outline last. Here it is just after job complete on the Glowforge:

1. Buy a spraypaint shelter from Lee Valley so that I don’t make a mess of my paint area. For $40 CAD, this tool looks like it’ll pay itself back in no time:

1. Weed all black parts (i.e. remove the backing protecting the acrylic for text, dogs, and border):

1. Apply two coats of spraypaint intended for plastic. I wanted to use Krylon Plastic Fusion, but my local Michael’s didn’t have it, but had a rustoleum spraypaint that said it works on plastic and is good for outdoors, so I used that:

1. After 1h (can claimed dry enough to work at that time), started weeding. Paint is still wet and had to stop midway. Wound up weeding the backing more than 2h later to try to ensure that I didn’t make a mess with the black. Worked out OK:

1. Paint behind the black with yellow:

1. Completed sign:

42 Likes

Nice.

1 Like

Great job!

I like the sign, and love the at home spray booth! I’ll have to look for one now.

1 Like

That’s a great technique how to. Reminds me of the sign my Latin teacher had in his class room. It seemed to be an actual sign that someone found for him, although that may be apocryphal.

slowchildren

4 Likes

Nice work.

1 Like

Those signs read
SLOW
:children_crossing:
CHILDREN
AT PLAY

…but I remember when they used to be spaced just a bit differently before PC culture:

SLOW
CHILDREN
:children_crossing:
AT
PLAY

Had a few around the town like that in the late 80s early 90s. They’ve been replaced.

4 Likes

I used to have one in my basement workshop… not sure what happened to it.

Just bought a spray paint shelter… This group makes me spend $$$ … hahaha

2 Likes

I keep threatening to buy this one. :grin:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RN944VW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_APFNDbB2SX8B4

5 Likes

I think you need one of those to store all your other toys. :wink:

2 Likes

My wife encourages my work with the local Makerspace because I donate my extra stuff to them every time I want to add something to my stash.

They’re running out of room and are beginning to look at me funny when I bring something new down to them :yum:

7 Likes