Ad Cut line on AD

I am trying to make the basic shapes for jewelry. Like blanks that I can customize and change the type & decor to spec.

I finally rendered a cut path using the pen tool around the shape which fixed the problem of the intersecting shapes ( the heart and the Bale) from creating two cuts. It turned out jagged. I do have snap setting turned on.

The plain heart is the Jagged one.

The one with all the jazz is the one that I was trying to build but could not get all the extra lines out.

1 Like

Here’s how I do it in AD…

Draw a heart and a circle for the bale (ignore the hole in the bale for now). Make sure they are both filled, but do not have a stroke assigned ):

Select both objects (cmd-a), then select Layer|Geometry|Add. You’ll now have a single object with a single smooth outline:

Set fill to “none” and give the stroke a color and set stroke width somewhere around 1 pt (it really doesn’t matter):

Add a circle for the hole, then select both the heart and the hole (cmd-a), then select Layer|Geometry|Combine. The two objects combine into a single object. You can deselect it, then re-select and change the stroke color to verify they are really one object:

Note that there’s now just a single “curves” object listed in the Layers inspector.

Now you can add whatever engraving(s) you desire (be sure to use a different color)…

Export as SVG (with the recommended options for GF) and you’re ready to go.

NB: There are multiple ways to accomplish this in AD. Other’s may have different/better advice, but this has always worked for me.

Good luck.

6 Likes

That was so easy! I can rest now…

You are a SUPER STAR…

Both my kids have CAD degrees and are planning on helping me…but they are both super busy this time of year…

Thank you!

2 Likes

That’s pretty much the way I do it, too. Pretty simple once you figure it out. I love Boolean ops!

2 Likes

Just an aside, in case you forgot…remove the fill in the heart AND in the ‘hole’ … just leave the stroke. And something else just because I’m curious…why are you using the IOS assets panel?

1 Like

Thank you,

I have been trying to solve this puzzle as well! I am amazed how much people on this forum are willing to help. You really are appreciated.

4 Likes

Thank you for reminding me of the fill in the hole.

Tell me what IOS means? lol

I don’t know… I have pushed all kinds of buttons trying to figure things out.

iOS is the operating system used by iPhones & iPads. The asset panel taking up the lefthand portion of your screen contains pre-drawn objects useful to mobile app developers.

1 Like

The same answer as Dwardio, but if you are designing apps for iPhones or iPads, that’s the panel you would be using. Otherwise, you can just use the regular toolbar down the left side.

1 Like

So I can turn that off in the program?

[quote=“Xabbess, post:9, topic:31833, full:true”] @dwardio

The same answer as Dwardio, but if you are designing apps for iPhones or iPads, that’s the panel you would be using. Otherwise, you can just use the regular toolbar down the left side.
[/quote]

I figured it out…like…duh!

You guys rock.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.