Adjusting Height and Width separately

I have another question. This time it involves scaling and sizing.

I have an image that is 3.25 inches x 4.5 inches; when I place it into the GFUI and the size says otherwise. So I try to scale it, but rather than being able to adjust one side or the other; it just scales it up completely which then throws the dimensions off. It has to be these exact numbers. Is there something I am missing when adjusting or is it Glowforge?

Currently all scaling in the Glowforge is proportional - we don’t have the option to scale just one axis.

If you need to do that it’s best to do it in the drawing software before you save the file.

The file is of the correct size; which is what I stated. However Glowforge scales it to be smaller once it’s uploaded. So I want to scale it up; when I do the dimensions no longer show those correct numbers.

Height and width is actually measured in pixels, rather than inches, when using just a straight raster image. All of the programs really have their own representation of this; some 72, some 90, some 96. Your browser has its own. So it just sees X pixels by Y and displays it using whatever the programs default value is.

To get absolute sizing for an image, size it in your graphics program and then embed it into a SVG file.

5 Likes

Depending on the kind of file you have, the software you’re using, and your save/export settings, there are various gotchas that can cause things to get resized when loaded into the Glowforge UI. If you can provide some more details, it’s very likely that someone here has been there before and can provide advice on how to ensure your designs don’t get shrunk in processing.

If you need precision, resizing in the GFUI is a lost cause. Best to figure out why it’s interpreting the size wrong at the source.

4 Likes

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. Thank you for the tip to embed the SVG while saving @jbmanning5.

@rainbowlabz2017, if you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.

1 Like