Advise On Refurbished Glowforge

Hello Everyone. Quick question for the community.
Has anyone ran into any issues with a refurbished GF? I had to have my Pro replaced because the laser tube stopped functioning. No idea why it stopped working I only made maybe 20 prints with it within a year. I received my refurbished GF a couple of days ago and it would not work (setup). I got an amber light.Reached out to support and they have decided to send another refurbished GF. But I’m worried that this will be a reoccurring problem with refurbished units.

2 Likes

Generally the refurbished ones are better than the new ones as they’re run through significantly more testing than the new ones - which doesn’t make you feel any better about double bad luck though :frowning: A few folks have run into the amber light because one or more of the connections on the control boards are loose somehow - if you haven’t boxed yours up yet you should take a look!

3 Likes

The support had me try all the connections. Unfortunately wasn’t the issue. I will say that when they asked me to I was excited thinking that was the issue. I haven’t boxed it up yet because I just asked for another replacement and they have you use the box the replacement came in. So any other suggestions from everyone will be appreciated.

1 Like

I bought mine in September '20, malfunctioned and had to send it back in November. Got a refurb. It malfunctioned in January and sent it back…got a refurb and it (knock on wood) has functioned wonderfully. I really figure refurbs probably are looked at more closely than the new ones! I’ve been very happy with mine. And, yes it takes a while to get it back, but such is life. I was happy with the way I was treated, even if it was inconvenient and at Christmastime…

3 Likes

Support was great the first time around. This time a little less desirable. I had long wait times for a response. And when I did get one they had me try one thing then said a replacement was needed. Don’t get me wrong I’m happy they are working with me to resolve the issue, but waiting another couple of weeks to get up and going (hopefully) is the worst part.

I have had 3 machines in 5 years. The first machine died largely on my ignorance of the effect magnets can have. My second machine just stopped about six mo. ago and it cost me the estimated repair for a refurb pro 1k. I did wait till the replacement came to reuse that box as the other box would have been a nightmare to dig out, but it was very crowded until I could get the old one shipped out.

That second refurb has been working excellently.

2 Likes

I personally emotionally hate my refurbished pro…but that is out of emotion because I wanted to hate it so much for having to replace my first GF. I will say, it has done well and even though I want to hate it, I actually do love it…It has been better then my first GF…

Soooo…although I love my first glowforge, I have to say that the refurbished one is standard for refurbished and they are really well tested. It is standard for refurbished to have a higher level of checkouts and so they actually are the ones that you want.

3 Likes

New customers that have never had a laser can do tests that no expert could imagine. Plus they are tested before the customer gets it and after they fix it.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone on the positive comments. Especially from owners of refurbished GF’s. Your comments make me feel better.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.