After a few days the lens literally slips off of the magnet

So for the most part my glow Forge experience has been great. I know exactly how to clean it yet after I clean the lens, I’ll find that a couple of days later the lens had slipped down to the middle somewhere inside of the head - slipping off of the magnet bond. The reason I know this is that it starts warping the wood that it’s cuts. So then I have to pull out the lens which is now halfway inside of the head and pop it back in. Is this a problem because I have seen other threads on this? And why is the bond simply not stronger?

The lens is supposed to move up and down inside the head, it is how it focuses the beam. Do not cram it up in there, you can damage the head and that will mean a trip back to the mothership for them to replace the head.

Put the lens on top of the tool, (the non-magnetic side), lower the head over the tool and let the lens jump up and attach itself to the magnets inside the head. Then don’t touch it. It will go where it needs to. :slightly_smiling_face:

The wood is likely warping because when you cut pieces out of it, it changes the internal stresses in the wood, and removes part of what was holding it together. It warps worse and worse the more material you remove. (Get used to that, all wood does it, particularly if you live in an area with any humidity.)

1 Like

No - i mean when im cleaning it. I dont ever move it or force it - no once it has literally fallen out and ive seen this topic - Lens falling out -- actually falling out of the head to the carriage platform

1 Like

It fell out of the head while it was working?

It fell out as i was pulling the carriage off for cleaning yes - before grabbing with magnet tool twice (while it was turned off - means it was loose). And i knew it was loose, both times i turned it off and went to clean it, cause after I fix it it cuts perfect. I only use proofgrade Draftboard

No, but I’d remove the lens and take a couple of closeup pictures of it…the magnet from the tool might have come off on the lens. (That’s what happened in that other case.)

It looks just like another ring on the lens so it’s easy to overlook it.

Be sure to turn it off before removing the lens…you know the drill. :slightly_smiling_face:

The tool has not come off. Thanks - it works and is working perfectly (right now i just fixed it again). Except when this happens and then it doesnt. I know this machine very well from a regular cleaning standpoint.

Check from the top on the head too. Remove the lid, carefully remove the mirror, and look down into it with a flashlight. There might be something in there…pictures would help.

I’m so sorry to hear about the trouble with the lens.

Could you please turn off your Glowforge, remove the lens, and post a photo of the head like this example below?

Please note if you notice any debris or damage inside of the printer head. We will take a look and follow up with your next steps.

Can you all answer the phone? No? Ok - i can’t need to take a pic, im running jobs and when i get my Epilog ill do it if i have the time. Mine is identitial (if we could talk on the phone that would be so much easier) . Ok well i have jobs running and they are not only running fine there absolutely nothing obstructing that area. Thanks

Thank you for the update. When you’re less busy and have an opportunity to take the photo which my colleague Chelsea requested, please post it in this topic or email it to us at support@glowforge.com and we’ll be happy to take a look!

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.