Ah, the joys of chemistry!

Here’s a cool article about what a Line-X bed coating can do for a watermelon.

20 Likes

I need that for my head!!

4 Likes

But can we laser it? :grin:

4 Likes

The core concept has actually helped me to take my ballistic armor research to a new level. One of the problems is to find ways of stabilizing the positions of ballistic fiber meshes so that they don’t separate and let fragments through. My spider silk work, coupled with this, might do the trick.

8 Likes

I think I remember hearing Dan say alpha-(2-aminomethylethyl)-omega-(2-aminomethylethoxy)-poly(oxy(methyl-1,2-ethanediyl)) was Glowforge-safe.

11 Likes

Now that you mention it…

4 Likes

A slight variant of this is what I hope will someday protect astronauts from the ionizing radiation of space.

5 Likes

Add a foaming agent and the potential uses skyrocket ! Could such a foam that is loaded with a high proportion of conductive graphene, be a new electrode or battery/supercapacitor ? Or a strong scaffold for holding stem cells or bacterial cultures?

I remember reading about Homestake gold mine in Lead, South Dakota, and the shutdown they were facing over the cyanide released to the river from their process. Facing a shutdown with 3 months to go, an enterprising person discovered a surprising solution, copy Mother Nature. You see, the bacteria downstream of the plant had adapted to start to consume the cyanide. Exposing these bacteria samples to increasing levels of cyanide allowed him to isolate the few that were adapted to high levels. He cultured two 55 gallon barrels of this strain, dammed up the river near the plant to create a deep pool, and painted this onto a number of large counter rotating ceramic disks that were partially immersed in this pool. The bacteria proliferated on the disks and consumed the bulk of the cyanide, leaving the less adapted bacteria downstream to finish the job, all in 3 months.

15 Likes

14 Likes

Bioremediation was a bit of a hobby of mine some years back(don’t ask…). An excellent read is this:
https://www.amazon.ca/Mycelium-Running-Mushrooms-Help-World/dp/1580085792

Paul Stamets has some interesting ideas and actual real world cases. Why I bring this up was that, in the above book, he used bags of mycelium by his stream to clean it up. As well as many more examples.

6 Likes

Whoa. That is wild

1 Like

So Crazy. Amazing to see some of the cool Science Breakthroughs. :slight_smile:

1 Like