Air Assist Error - is this the end?

We’ve been shut down for a couple of weeks now and the Glowforge ‘support’ is totally non-existent.
When putting a design to print I got the dreaded orange flashing light and an error that said that the air assist fan wasn’t operating up to speed. After going through all of the cleaning procedures it still did not work. So, I ordered a new carriage plate and installed it (as the instructions in the troubleshooting page suggested). Still no dice.
Our Glowforge Pro was an early model so I’ve had to replace certain things over the years so I wasn’t surprised to encounter a problem like this but the suggested part is not fixing the issue and it’s been almost 7 days since I put in my request for support and I haven’t heard anything from anyone. Are we finally to a place where our Glowforge has lived it’s life? Is it time to move on to an omtech or the like? If I’m on my own with maintenance and such I may as well upgrade to a more powerful laser with parts that are easily found elsewhere. I’m frustrated and at a total loss. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas of how to get this thing back up and running at least for a while longer??

2 Likes

I have not experienced what you are dealing with, but just want to ask…when you sent your first email to support, did you receive their automated reply? If you never received that, then it’s likely that they also never received your request for help.

1 Like

Yes, I received the automated reply. Just no real reply, thanks for clarifying:)

1 Like

Check the ribbon cable that connects to the print head. Look for a loose connection of both ends, any bent pins at the connectors and also for any nicks in the ribbon. From time to time the connections to mine work loose or I don’t get them secured after a cleaning.

2 Likes

Are you working with any magnets?

No magnets, I learned that a while ago:)

Ok, I’ll check those, that’s good advice

One last place to check is the contact pads on the carriage plate where the head makes the electrical connection and the spring-loaded pins there on the head, since the air assist fan gets its power from the head.

2 Likes

Yes, those seem to be functioning and clean

1 Like

The control and monitoring circuits for the air assist fan run through the white ribbon cable, the four contact pads on the bottom of the printer head, and across the carriage plate circuit board. A break in that path will typically result in an error being received, but not necessarily an orange light, that’s usually received when there is more than one circuit related to printer head operation affected, meaning circuits other than the four involved in air assist operation, so I would look closer at the white ribbon cable.

Inspect every inch of the exposed cable surface, and look for signs of wear and abrasion. Look also for any pinching or creasing, and look into the connector receiver that’s mounted on the printer head. Make sure that none of the pins inside the receiver are bent or broken.

1 Like

what is the problem with magnets? I use them to hold down floppy stock that the fan can move.

It can interfere with the air assist fan. I use them but they are the ones from the computers that are not magnetized on the top.

1 Like

Strong magnets can interfere with the air assist fan.

1 Like

Actually makes the air assist fan slow down or stop when the fan passes directly over a strong rare earth magnet. That in turn will set off a speed error for the air assist fan.

5 Likes

heya! I just ran into the exact same problem. I just got the new carriage plate replacement today, and then put the new part in and same issue. So I just took the old fan off the plate and put the new one in its place and things started working again. its just four bolts and unplugging the wiring.
I wish they just sold the fan because thats all I needed.
My pro model is about 5 years old so I am wondering if things got updated without making them compatible. anyway I hope that helps you. I too couldn’t get any help from glowforge support.

3 Likes

Most manufacturers identify themselves on the product. Armed with the dimensions and specs it should be possible to source the fan from the manufacturer or a distributor. Google is your friend.

3 Likes

THANK YOU! This solved my problem! In fact, right before I saw your reply I had paid the invoice for a new printer head (almost $600) after waiting for over two weeks for it to be back in stock. As soon as I read your comment I ran out and switched out the fans and wouldn’t you know it…it fired right up and cut like nothing had ever gone wrong! And support has reassured me that they will return the printer head I don’t need. I am so thankful for your advice! Especially since I know that the printer head would not have solved my problem and that the next remedy from Glowforge was going to be to replace the entire unit. So, you have saved me $$$$ and I really hope this thread can help the next person who encounters this issue as well! In fact, I really hope that Glowforge sees this and can offer the fan alone for those of us with older machines.

4 Likes

That seems odd, I can’t imagine what aspect of the carriage conflicts with the machine. Glad you got it going, just be sure you have the fan oriented the correct way so that it’s blowing down. :sunglasses:

1 Like

There is no mention of the one they sell not working with models from before or after a particular date.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.