Air assist error (RANT)

(RANT WARNING) YES, I’VE ALREADY FILLED OUT A CUSTOMER SERVICE TICKET
If we’re going to have this new “air assist fan” error that pops up when it feels like it, can you at least have it pause instead of killing a very large job halfway through? the fan is clean. the contacts are clean. the fan is running just fine. there are no magnets near the spot where it dies. I’ve run it three times (scorching the parts that have been cut previously, BADLY). It kills it in the exact same position halfway through a 15 minute cut job. Now I have to wait for someone to someone to get back to me, meanwhile I can’t move the sheet out of the machine or do any other work because I’ll lose alignment! I liked it better without the extra error. I realize it was put in to protect the machine, but it just cost me material, time and possibly this client, and there is nothing wrong. I can see the smoke being cleared by the fan. [insert profanities in all caps and bold].
I feel better, thanks.

3 Likes

Are you using magnets to hold your material down? Wait yes you are. Ok so they don’t have to be near where you’re cutting, if they’re behind where you’re cutting they are right under the fan.

They cause the air assist fan to stop working and throw that error.

Use pins and you’ll be all set. It’s the only way to be sure.

4 Likes

:+1:

You probably know all this, but support will most likely tell you to try printing a known good design on proofgrade material. If that prints, then the machine is operating to specs.

1 Like

Thanks @eflyguy! I ran a smaller part just fine. your previous comments on another thread made me move the magnets farther away and run it again, but no luck. It still doesn’t make sense that a design (made in inkscape, like a million times before) could cause an issue that makes the controller think there’s something wrong with the fan. it has to be a bug in the OS, right?

1 Like

@evansd2 unfortunately I eliminated that as an option by removing them on the 3 try.

1 Like

It should not be related. The only thing I can think of is that the fan is faulty, and the machine is only checking periodically, which is why it throws the error at the same point.

1 Like

Huh bummer.

I stopped using magnets and haven’t seen an error since. Sounds like you’re going to just have to wait for support.

2 Likes

I was thinking that too, but on the second and third run I was watching very carefully as it was hitting the edges of the previously cut parts again (to make sure it didn’t catch on fire), you can definitely see the head fan blowing the smoke as usual.

The one thing I can think of that would cause the problem if that fan is running is the sensor is losing contact at that configuration. The white ribbon that plugs into the laser head may have a bad contact. Playing with it could fix the problem of have it occur in a different place. If a different place it will probably need to fly back to the mothership.

2 Likes

Yeah, at this point I’d probably be checking cables and giving them a very careful wiggle.

3 Likes

How about rotating the design 90 or 180 degrees and running again - does it crash out in the same place. Is it somehow a design issue. You said it stopped in the same place 3 times,

3 Likes

Good point! I can’t imagine what in the file would do that but if something could do that it would be good to know what it is.

2 Likes

No I can’t either, but if it really is stopping at exactly the same point, maybe it is stuck shooting without moving or something??? Or maybe just a software glitch causing a false error? I’m speculating wildly here of course :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I recall there was a cad draftsman that was really angry at the boss so made this huge rant and scaled it to be a point in the text, His boss curious why the plotter was digging a hole in the paper looked carefully and the drafter was promptly fired.

4 Likes

well, this would definitely confirm or release some theories! Nice suggestion, I’ll try it out!

1 Like

That drafter wouldn’t happen to be @rbtdanforth would it? If so it was a brilliant stroke.

1 Like

I am not that stupid. If I did it, it would not be obvious like that.

Well it had the sound of an “I have a friend…” story which a psychiatrist might hear. Pretty clever if you do not care about your job.

Perhaps a script to format the bosses’s computer at midnight…

2 Likes

On a non printing layer in the Border block it could have a bigger effect and be harder to find, and a lot of work to remove, but again not my style.

2 Likes

no pun intended?