Air-assist fan always on

I’ve had my glowforge for a couple years now. Tonight after working properly to this point, the air assist fan will not turn off. I turned the unit off and on again and the air-assist fan starts up full blast and never turns off. Any ideas?

I’m Aaron’s wife, the one who was using the machine when it started this weirdness.

I was printing a file (Rex Md M K 2 in my dashboard) on a leftover piece of proof grade medium maple plywood. It didn’t look as good as it should. I turned off the machine, cleaned the lenses and ran the same file again. It didn’t look well-focused and it didn’t cut through all the way. I did have the piece well held down with hold-down pins.

I turned the machine off. When I turned it back on is when the air-assist fan came on immediately and stayed on.

I did run a portion of the same file again on draft board (again a scrap piece) and it looks a little better, but not nearly as good as what I am used to getting from the machine.

Air assist is powered through the white head ribbon cable. Make sure the pins are not bent and the cable is fully seated.

I’m sorry to hear your Air Assist fan is coming on at full power.

@rpegg Thanks for the great information.

In addition to rpegg’s suggestion, please try the following:

1. Turn off your Glowforge
  2. Remove the printer head according to the first three steps of these instructions
  3. Wipe the top of the carriage plate and bottom of the head using a lens wipe
  4. Replace the printer head according to these instructions
  5. Gently try to rock the printer head forward and backward then left and right to make sure it’s seated firmly
  6. Turn your unit back on and try another print

If you are still running into trouble after cleaning, please let us know and we’ll be happy to investigate further.

Cleaned, and up and running much better. Thank you for the prompt reply and assistance.

2 Likes

Thank you, too!

I’m going to close this thread - if the problem reoccurs, go ahead and post a new topic. Thanks for letting us know about this!