Air assist fan not working... after new carriage plate - Resolved

Hey, so I’m getting the air assist fan error and support sent me a fresh carriage plate and I’m getting the exact same issue. The contact pads seem to be springy and clean as described in troubleshooting. Is there some sensor that wouldn’t have been replaced with the carriage plate that might still be clogged? I’m really at a loss as to what’s next.

Are you using magnets to hold down the material? If so, ditch them and use the Honeycomb Pins instead. Strong magnets can interfere with the air assist.

No magnets, looked around a bit and I don’t think there’s anything magnetic nearby except the lens removal tool on the desk next to it.

When I go to print the machine barely spins up, it gives a slight whir then the yellow button. Doesn’t seem like it even trys to use the fan, I feel like it has to be something with the cable connecting to the head but I have no idea how to diagnose further.

Can you turn off the machine, carefully remove the head, and inspect the pins inside where the white ribbon plugs in?

If you see anything unusual, post a pic, but if not, you can carefully reseat the white cable until it clicks into place and give it another try.

Not sure what I’m looking for but here’s some pictures. It looks normal as far as I can tell.

That’s good…now take a look at the pins on the head where that plugs in. (You’re looking for anything bent or broken.)

They seem fine. Maybe this little fan is kind of dirty but it spins freely and easily.

Yeah, that all looks fine. (That’s not the air assist fan…that’s going to be the next thing to check. )

Try plugging the cable back in, (make sure it clicks into place), fire her up and try the GOGM to see if it still gives you the error. Let me know if you’ve still got the error.

Air Assist Fan. Sits underneath the laser tube and toward the back of the GF moving gantry. It’s attached to the metal plate that the head sits on…

1 Like

Yeah, but the air assist fan got replaced when I got the new carriage so its completely clean. I wasn’t sure if the little fan could have contributed to the issue.

The issue resolved itself finally, I guess just unplugging and replugging the cable a few time was it. Thanks for working with me on this.

3 Likes

I’m so glad you were able to get it working! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’ll be happy to help!