Air assist--no error, but too powerful!

Yesterday I tried to etch and cut a sheet of my business cards with light wood veneer cardstock. I’ve done this many times before, but has been a month or so since last time. Used to be I had to lightly break out the cards from the bulk of the paper as not 100% cut.

I used the same set up for thickness, power & speed, but this time most of the cards were blown out of position and thus I only got 2 out of 8 that I could use. Given it was 40 minutes and 36 of that was the etching, it was SOOOO frustrating seeing them blow about and lose all that work (and material $). Prior times I run these files with these settings, I’ve never had this happen.

I’m guessing this is related to the air assist fan updates. Is there a way to turn it down or off for running jobs such as this?

Or is the only option to run the etching, ignore the cut until etching is complete, then place magnets (thin) over the etched areas (inside of card) and then cut (and ingore etching)?

I am not sure about the fan power, but I did just what you suggested with my card stock cards. Some people here have talked about a sticky mat. Maybe they will share.

2 Likes

The sticky mats are called Seklema (brand name $) or you can make your own with a sheet of cardstock and a can of repositionable spray adhesive (much cheaper)

@bansai8creations
You can disable the fan manually, but the liklihood of seeing your beautiful engraving go up in flames goes WAY up - so go with the 2 step process you described, or the sticky mat!

5 Likes

Double sided tape and sacrificial material would also work. You could even engrave the plywood/MDF or whatever with the cutouts of the cards so you would know where best to place the cards. :smile:

4 Likes

Thanks all, doing the two step and so back up to 100% yield.

Sticky mat (purchased or made) is something I’ll likely do in the future! I used double stick tape when I etched guitar picks before & does work well to keep things from shifting unexpectedly!

5 Likes

I’m glad you resolved it! I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!