Air assist stops mid cut

I’ve contacted support and haven’t heard back yet just figured I’d reach out here and see if anyone has advice.

I’ve noticed mid cut the air assist fan (I’m guessing) stops. You can tell at the start with the air flow and how hard it blows the smoke towards the front of the unit that it is working. Somewhere in mid cut the smoke from the cut just slowly builds up, start seeing small flames and not it’s blowing towards the front anymore. It still cuts through the material and there is no error but after it is done it gets stuck on focusing. Mind you I am not doing long cuts right now, 7-10 minutes max until resolved. Turn off the machine and it goes through the same process the same exact way. Not sure I explained this well enough but best way I can describe what’s going on. Everything is and stays clean also. Also, it is inside the house vented out the window.

Do you use magnets to hold your material down? They can mess with that fan. You definitely have to make sure that fan is working properly or you could end up damaging the head or burning up the entire machine.

3 Likes

No magnets at all. I haven’t used the machine since the last cut. Waiting to hear from glowforge or get some advice here.

Have you inspected the fan to see of it needs cleaning?

3 Likes

Yep. Was hoping that was the issue. Last cleaning it wasn’t bad at all and when I fired it up and saw the fan blowing I thought all was resolved, then it stopped again on me. So, now the machine sits.

Well let’s hope support can get back to you soon and figure it out. Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful.

2 Likes

Thank you for taking a look at the post. I think I will check all the connections again, seems like this only happens when you have work to do on it.

1 Like

Murphy’s law. Good luck.

3 Likes

By looking over the back of the gantry you can just see the fan and if it’s running during a print.
The fan gets its power from the pins on the bottom of the head, you could try to clean those and the pads they contact with alcohol just to eliminate that possibility.

1 Like

Just tried that and did a small cut and we kept an eye on the fan. It finished a 3 minute cut when it was getting ready to go back to the starting area I got the yellow light.

1 Like

I just cleaned my air assist fan today after getting an error during a job. I burn thick draftboard all day, and my fan looked like it just came out of an oil spill. Covered in black tar buildup. Even after cleaning the top of it, I had to unscrew the fan and there was a thick layer almost totally blocking air flow in-between the bottom of the fan and the metal plate it gets screwed to. After cleaning both sides, it was spinning freely and doing its job again. TL;DR is that if you’re not unscrewing it from the plate, you may have to do that to clean the back side of the fan as well.

1 Like

TY for the reply. What was causing the problem was a small exposed copper wire on top of the ribbon going to the printer head.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.