Air filter dial

I would like to know if I have to move the dial on my air filter.

It’s not necessary to do so, especially if you do like I do and run it at full speed, every time that I use it.

Theoretically, you can adjust the speed of the fan to change the speed at which air flows through your Glowforge, but there aren’t really any benefits to doing so, especially with no way to tell how fast the air is moving, or what effect it will have on evacuation of the exhaust being generated.

However, running the fan at full speed does benefit the life of a Glowforge filter by compressing the collected particles to a higher degree, thus making more room than lightly compacting them at a lower speed, and extending the time between required cartridge changes.

1 Like

So the dial is for low or full speed?

yes

Thank you, I really appreciate your help!!

That is a great question! You can find more details in the Glowforge Air Filter Manual, but here is some information to get you started:

The knob on the Glowforge Air Filter controls the power to the fan. When it is too high or too low, your Glowforge Air Filter will not work properly. When you first use your Glowforge Air Filter, turn it to “New”. The fan will use its lowest power setting, which is the best setting for a new filter. Do not use a higher setting, as more power will move air too quickly, and smoke and fumes may not be completely removed.

After you have used the filter for a while, the filter cartridge will start to fill. More power will be required to move the air through the Glowforge Air Filter, and the “New” setting will no longer reduce smoke and fumes. If you find there are still smoke and fumes on the lowest setting, use the middle setting, halfway between “New” and “Full”. Finally, when the filter cartridge is almost full, it will again stop reducing smoke and fumes, and more power will be required to fully eliminate smoke and fumes. Turn the knob to “Full”.