Air Filter Latest

Any filter system will be affected by handling draft board type of materials. There are only really 3 ways a filter will last longer.

1. It has a larger surface area.
  2. It has a pre-filter ahead of the main filter.
  3. It is of reduced quality and doesn’t catch everything (and particles pass through it)

Judging by the size of the original base filter from the promos, I’m betting it had a smaller filter than even the compact one, hence it didn’t perform well and was inevitably cut from the product offering.

I wouldn’t expect a huge improvement with the new unreleased filter unless it is considerably larger.

I assume you are not able to just vent it outdoors at all? Based on when you bought it, it’s unfortunate your machine is likely out of warranty before you have even used it.

3 Likes

Actually they’ve said that the form factor of the new filter is very similar to the current Compact Filter :smiley: If you go to the top of this thread where Dan posted the update he addresses expected filter life as well.

"The new Glowforge Air Filter resembles the Compact Filter, but has three key differences: the cartridges last about 20% longer, it supports a prefilter that can extend the life of the cartridge by another 10%, and it has a notification sound when the HEPA filter is nearly full.

For those of you who already own Compact Filters, in the future, we are planning to work to make the improved cartridges and prefilters backwards compatible."

2 Likes

Soooo I just found this post that explains the most recent delay, along with the previous year’s, and I’m kind of stunned that I was never notified about any of this. In previous years (every few months since I placed my order back in 2015), I’d get an email with a status update, delivery estimate, and explanation of whatever the current delay was, as well as what changes/improvements the company was making to the product. But I just searched my email, and I haven’t received any email updates about product shipment or delays since March 12, 2018.

I learned about the previous filter delay only because when my filter didn’t show up as predicted, I logged into my account and discovered that they had pushed the delivery date back. I just did the same thing to find out why it hadn’t arrived by October 1, 2019 (my most recent delivery estimate), and I just saw that it’s now pushed back to 2020. And I’m a bit irked after reading this thread because had I KNOWN that there was a Compact Filter on offer a full year ago, I might have taken that so I could actually use my GF indoors instead of letting it sit like a paperweight as the warranty ticked away. Did ANYONE receive an email about the filters (or any other general updates within the past 18 months)? When was the Compact Filter made available? I didn’t even know it had been released, much less that ordering one as a replacement for the pre-order filter was an option for GF owners.

This is exactly my situation. My workshop is in a basement with glass block windows and no exterior vents. When I accepted delivery last year my filter was estimated to ship just a short time later, so I didn’t think it would be a problem, but it’s been delayed twice (maybe thrice?) since then. A full year after my first warranty replacement (first machine arrived damaged) I still had not been able to test the new GF to see if it worked, so a couple months ago I finally destroyed part of a glass block window, stuck the exhaust duct against the hole, and sealed over the entire area with aluminum tape. It’s not pretty, but at least I could finally run the machine without poisoning myself. (And as it turned out, I did need another replacement, as GF#2 had alignment problems.) Perhaps the most frustrating thing is that I never got to benefit from any of the Founder’s discounts or previous delay concessions that expired in 2018, since I couldn’t test out any of the Proofgrade materials.

I was banking on the air filter arriving by the October estimate so I could close up the hole to the outside before winter arrived, but now that it’s delayed again, I have to choose between having a usable GF or having -20° F air leaking into my basement. I’m sure that’s not good for the GF, either. Maybe I’ll go read up on the Compact Filter and figure out if it will work in my space.

3 Likes

They added the instructions for the Email updates to the FAQ section a while back, and announced that all Announcements/Progress Updates were going to be handled on the forum…I think it was shortly after (or maybe before) the first Production Run.

Anyway, here’s how to set it up:

If you have a filter on order, you have the right to convert it to a Compact Filter at no cost. Just send an email to support@glowforge.com and let them know that you want to switch. If they have them in stock, it will arrive pretty quickly.

That’s very unfortunate. I just checked and the announcement email from Dan about the compact filter was sent out Jan 17, 2019. See below the snapshot.

If you opt to try the compact filter, for the love of all things glowforge, please make sure you read the fine print and understand what it can and can’t do. If you cut a lot of dirty materials, like draftboard, the filter doesn’t last very long and you are better off venting when doing these materials. Otherwise plan to have a spare filter or figure out a pre-filter setup. A lot of people overlook these details and then “vent” here on the forum.

Introducing the Compact Filter

As we’ve seen delays delivering the Glowforge Air Filter, we decided to partner with an air filter vendor to create something new - the Compact Filter. It’s been completely customized to be the perfect partner for your Glowforge with upgraded fans, higher quality filter media, and an improved power supply. It sits on the floor near your Glowforge, and is about the size of a recycle bin. We plan to sell them for $995 as an alternative choice to the Glowforge Air Filter many of you ordered.

In fact, I had the joy of using one for two hours in a public school library this morning for Career Day, and it was delightful!

We have a small shipment available for delivery. If you’re a Glowforge Air Filter customer, and if you’d like to be one of the first to try the Compact Filter, you can sign up to exchange your Glowforge Air Filter order for a Compact Filter. Read the air filter update for more details.

If you don’t opt for a unit from this batch, don’t worry - we’ll offer other chances for you to either purchase the Compact Filter or exchange your Glowforge Air Filter for one.

2 Likes

There have been several threads on folks’ ingenious ways of making sealable exhaust systems. Add to that my own observations of the many juice bottles that are 4" in diameter and fit the exhaust hose, allowing the bottoms to be cut almost all the way through making a one-way flap allowing air out but not in.

No matter what filter you use the cost of operation is increased considerably over going out the window. If you have a hole you can use, filling in the irregularities with the cans of foam can make a much cleaner hole and flap valves and closing vents can create as clean a system as you would like.

1 Like

I not really planning to ask for a refund, but I noticed this piece of information was left out as well. That’s what actually had me reading the forum. The amount should be listed somewhere…

edz

It’s not listed because people paid different amounts for it depending on when they purchased. (Pre-release was about half the cost of post production.) You can find your own cost refund by following these instructions:

1 Like

Dan, This process is really a joke. I’ve been waiting 4 years for my filter. The last time that I checked my ship date it was scheduled for 10-31-19. This morning i logged in to learn my date is now 2-19-2020. This is just such a disappointment. My Glowforge has been sitting idle since i received it waiting on a filter and my original order is more than 4 years old. I really do not believe that you will ship it on 2-16-19 as you have mislead me so many times over the past 4 year. I’m disappointed in you. When will you make this right?

1 Like

Dan, That’s really not an option unless you are willing to refund my entire purchase price for the Glowforge. I’m even more disappointed no based upon your response.

When you accepted delivery of your GF you were informed that the filter was not ready yet and that you could delay the delivery of your unit until the filter was ready. I know this because I received the same email. IIRC, it was titled something like “Do you want your Glowforge now?”. In that email it detailed that the filter was not ready and as everything with the Glowforge there was some uncertainty when it would be ready. In spite of this, you chose to accept delivery. Based on what you are saying, you did so knowing that you would be unable to use it until the filter arrived. That means it isn’t on Glowforge anymore. Once you took delivery it is on you that you can’t use your laser cutter. They gave you the option to wait, you chose not to. You ordered a pre-production laser cutter and filter. There were no guarantees of delivery dates on your pre-order, only estimates that have been updated as often as they are able. Delays are common with pre-production orders because things come up that can’t be predicted. The latest update on this subject is that the factory is spooling up for production but they have run into a problem that will delay production.

You have four choices:

1. Wait patiently for the pre-ordered filter to finish production and ship to you.
  2. Buy a compact filter instead.
  3. Buy a third party filter.
  4. Sell your Glowforge.

I suggest you take some time and really think about what your plan for the GF is and then chose the option that is best for your plan, knowing that the responsibility for the situation you are in is solely yours. Glowforge has communicated the information they had and has made it clear what the options are.

5 Likes

@dan my air filter was scheduled for 10/31, but now it says Jan 2020. What’s the deal with that? The post indicates November 2019 which is next month. I’m pretty disappointed that I’ll apparently have to wait an additional 2 months for the air filter that I’ve been waiting a few years for. Is the Jan 2020 date accurate? I’ve been using my GF a lot and love it, I’m just really hoping to get it into a better place in my house and away from my window!

Me Three…

What an angry e-mail from you.
You really should be ashamed of the way you have treated people that put their money, trust and faith in you.

Be aware that you are posting on an open forum and the replies on this forum are not from Glowforge unless the poster is stating that they are from Glowforge.

I am not a Glowforge representative, nor have I ever claimed to be. You haven’t put any trust in me or given me any money. My replies and opinions, unpopular as they sometimes are, are my own and do not reflect on Glowforge. I am a very happy and satisfied customer of Glowforge. I have waited just as long or longer than everyone else for my laser cutter and filter. The difference is that I read and understood what was communicated to me by this upright and honest company. I dislike seeing a company badmouthed by persons and companies that can’t take responsibility for their own decisions.

4 Likes

Ben,

Thank you for pointing that out I stand corrected.
You are correct, that I accepted the terms and conditions.
Having said that, I have patiently waited for four years, and they continue to move the ball.
That is not what I expected and I doubt that anyone expected to be waiting four years.

They aren’t doing it to scam you, rob you, or make you angry. They are moving delivery dates to give you a product they can stand behind. If it were up to Glowforge, they would have delivered every unit on the first date they gave. It doesn’t work that way though and even simple projects can hit delays. An honest company communicates those delays with updates that are as accurate as possible. A dishonest company ships a product that doesn’t work or doesn’t work right, or walks away with your money. Glowforge isn’t going do to that. They are going to deliver to you a filter that works with your Glowforge and that they can stand behind. Yes, it will take longer than you want and trust me it is taking longer than Glowforge wants. But this is what happens when you make something you have never made before, and even when you are an expert sometimes.

It looks like you may be replying from your email account. You will get a better experience if you log into the community as there is a lot of additional information in the community interface that is not visible in your email.

4 Likes

Aha! So that’s where the page and a half of irrelevant images are coming from! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just wanted to say that your continued responses to this have been great and are helpful for others of us that are a bit frustrated right now.

3 Likes

Just in case anyone missed it…the answer to the most recent delay issues right now was updated by Dan in the first post of the thread a few days ago…they’ve had a production delay at the plant. Everything got shifted back.

2 Likes