Air filter problem

My machine has been overheating for a few days. This morning it had to stop 3 times during one cut. I have the Pro. This has never happened to me before. Also, there was actual smoke coming out of the front. Someone on Facebook suggested that it might be my air filter so I unhooked it and put the hose out the window. It’s been working great since then.
My machine is 3 months old. Could the filter be full already? It seems to be clean, and the fan is spinning. Not sure what to do now?

Yeah, if there is smoke starting to seep out of the front of the machine, it generally indicates that the filter cartridge needs to be changed out. They are available at the Shop in the Spare Parts section.

https://shop.glowforge.com/collections/spare-parts

1 Like

3 Months life with the filter is not unusual. If going out a window is an option it is far better to do that unless there is a neighbor that can be annoyed or other special circumstance.

1 Like

The job of a filter is to capture particulate, at a point the particulate will stack up until it restricts airflow. Changing the filter media is the only option to restore the efficiency.
Venting out a window is the best option regarding expense.

4 Likes

Depending on what you are doing with the machine, you can fill the filter cartridge in a day (it’s been done and shared here, iirc.)

They specify the number of expected prints by material for reference, so you can avoid materials that will shorten the life if possible.

2 Likes

Thanks for great help everyone!

The details @eflyguy is referencing are available here:

If you’re interested, you’re welcome to post a photo of your cartridge.

1. Turn off and unplug your Compact Filter
    The power switch is located on the back, next to the cord. Turn it off first, then unplug it from the wall.

2. Open Compact Filter
    There are four latches holding the top of the Compact Filter in place. Lift the bottom of all four latches to release them, then lift off the lid.

3. Take a picture
    Without removing the filter cartridge, take a picture of the top of the cartridge seated in the Compact Filter and send it to us.

(You can post it here, or email it to support@glowforge.com)

But if you’re pretty sure it’s a cartridge, @Jules has already provided the link to get more.

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.