Alabama, the state, with counties

It has been a while since I did anything just for looks. My next-door neighbor had seen something similar and thought I could do this. Of course, he was right. :grinning:

1/4" :proofgrade: cheery and a dab of yellow paint for the city. Keyhole blocks on the back to hang it.

38 Likes

Looks great! What are the dimensions? (Just wondering if I could make out the county names without reading glasses.:grin:)

7 Likes

I scaled it to be about 11.5" wide after I told my neighbor what it would cost in wood for 20x30" :grinning:

13 Likes

I had never realized there were so many counties in Alabama.

8 Likes

Still, that’s a nice size.
And totally readable!

10 Likes

Nice! I like anything to do with maps. They always make me happy.

10 Likes

That turned out great!

8 Likes

Looks great!

9 Likes

That looks great!

8 Likes

dont’ forget generally counties were set up so you could get to the county seat via horseback in a day.

at least that’s the story I was told.

7 Likes

This may have been the objective early on, but I know Idaho has counties that are bigger than smaller states.

8 Likes

probably has to do with when it was settled, would be my guess.

7 Likes

Yeah, Idaho was late and everyone was tired. :rofl:

8 Likes

Nice!

4 Likes

LOL

that made me laugh

5 Likes

That’s nothing. Ever look at a county map of Georgia?

(Ok, so Texas has more, at 254 counties, but at least it’s a big state. Georgia’s 159 counties are just ridiculous. VA is pretty crazy too, with 133 counties.)

6 Likes

That’s pretty normal for western states. I live in San Bernardino County (California) which is bigger than Rhode Island, Delaware, Connecticut, and New Jersey combined (with more than enough room left over for a second Rhode Island)

Nine states are smaller than San Bernardino County. :slight_smile:

Arizona and Nevada also have some pretty gigantic counties: List of the largest counties in the United States by area - Wikipedia

8 Likes

Yeah, we lived in Elko County, NV (#4 on the list) for 20 years. That is a tremendously large county to cover with just 17 Sheriff Deputies (my husband was a deputy). Back-up was sometimes hard, as it can take 2-3 hours to get from one point in the county to another. Fortunately there were city and state officers to help, and because there are so few towns, all the officers knew each other. Most towns are at least an hour away from each other. Even Carlin, where we first lived when we moved to Nevada, is 1/2 hour from Elko. We lived in Spring Creek, which is 20 min away from Elko, but divided by a summit that can close due to accidents/wildfires/snow. The summit is the main route into Spring Creek, otherwise it takes over an hour to get through the only other route into it.

8 Likes

But then look at the counties around San Francisco, much smaller. Because they were settled around the gold rush.

6 Likes

NC has 100 which I though was crazy when we moved here. CT has 8. In CT they’re vistigial. The sheriff’s are elected, they have deputies but by and large all they do is serve papers. It’s a patronage system at its core.

In NC, they’re like counties in other states - law enforcement and county management in all the spaces around the “cities”. Our city has 9,000 residents and is the county seat. Less than 5 1/2sq miles. We live outside the city limits so don’t pay city taxes, just county.

In CT we were in a ruralish town (had a couple of small dairy farms and a sheep farm). But we had 25,000 residents spread out over 28sq mi. Town property & fire taxes but no county taxes.

Then there’s Maine - 16 counties but 482 towns (& “plantations”). Yet half the state is virtually unpopulated.

6 Likes