Alarm clock

Huh, so it seems:

I thought they were part of radioshack, must have conflated with Tandy brand.

2 Likes

So rad! Love the retro style.

2 Likes

They have been in and out of existence/bankruptcy several times. RadioShack sold their kits but they were not affiliated.

Bought and built my first kit when I was 9. This was in Africa. Choices were limited.

3 Likes

That brings back memories. I ordered and built a Heathkit Oscilloscope when I was in the Army in Germany doing radio repair - (loooong time ago). Shipped it back home when I was discharged and used it when I went to DeVry Tech.

3 Likes

I treated myself to a Rigol 1054 “Z” a few years back. Found an online hack to unlock the full speed and memory it had built-in but was restricted by firmware.

Did you get some good rocking-and-rolling down there this morning. The worst was South of me but has knocked a couple of pictures crooked on the walls.

1 Like

Your post reminded me of another story. A friend I had/worked with back in the 90’s - copier tech, Lanier dealership back then - joined the military to get training as an EE thinking that would be a nice safe way to stay on-base. He ended up being top of his class, so he was the one that got to jump out the back of 'planes after they threw the radio equipment out. I have no recollection of how many jumps he had, but it was a lot.

Built a Heathkit computer which once completed happened to be a commonly sold Zenith branded PC similar to the original IBM PC. I loved hacking stuff back then. Noticed the schematics had some unused capabilities so I designed a kit to quadruple the maximum memory. Involved reprogramming PROMS, PALS and a couple other minor mods. Started a home based company to sell the kit through tech magazine adverts. Paid for my house.

In 1985 I was on the USS Nimitz as a young long hair civilian engineer in the Mediterranean. Over the ships intercom I was sternly asked to report to the Commander’s ready room. My boss thought I was in big trouble. So did I. It turned out that the ship’s Commander (Commander of the Navy’s 6th Fleet, Admiral Kelso) had a Zenith computer and somehow heard about me. Sat down and had coffee with him talking for a couple hours. I hate coffee but didn’t let him know that.

9 Likes

Love it - 7 months! Great project!

2 Likes

Sometimes thinks get prolonged, but you kept going. An excellent finish!

1 Like

I find these projects so interesting but the minute you get into all the sciency stuff all I hear is bla blah blah. I envy you guys.

3 Likes

My brain hearing talk of all the electronics stuff as well
:face_with_spiral_eyes:
That is a big part of the problem I have with the 3d printer.
I think part of it was that I was in my twenties before most of it was invented.

2 Likes

A hint of escapades in exotic ports of call?
I remember envying the civilian factory reps aboard Enterprise, no duty section, eating with the officers in the ward rooms, traveling the world.

I’m slowly getting more proficient with fusion and the slicer. I have really enjoyed being able to fabricate solutions. It’s been a good neuron stretch.

1 Like

My problem is with the mountain type wall nearer the start that will be a molehill when (if ever?) I know what I am doing with the electronic/mechanical end. Form and output have always been easier for me, like Inkscape was just a matter of seeing what stuff did and where the buttons were to do them. I never found myself at a loss to accomplish anything with any graphic software even self teaching myself Autocad when I had never touched more than a commodore 64.

1 Like

I did have the benefit of tips from my son who had just completed his indoctrination of the printer and slicer. It’s actually a lot easier than I had anticipated.

1 Like

That is what I need is someone who can help me over the parts that are easy for them while not charging five dollars a minute to do so.

1 Like

Yeah, his pointers saved me the initial struggle, which is what caused me to avoid the technology initially.
The fusion file is exported in .stl and the slicer converts that to G code. I have only used one filament, PLA, so I haven’t had to explore different feed speeds, nozzle or bed temperatures.

1 Like