Alcohol Ink Before Lazer Cutting

Iv looked and looked, so Im sorry if this has been answered before. I know acrylic will work, and thats my second best option as of now. But will wood that has been pre-stained, before cutting, with alcohol ink be ok to be engraved and cut as well? I really LOVE the way the wood grain shows through.

Also if you have done it, was is your favorite type of alcohol ink, and favorite way?

3 Likes

I’ve used “Caliart” branded markers and FolkArt “UltraDye”, never gave it a second thought.

If you want to be certain, you could look up the SDS for the particular product you have in mind.

2 Likes

Yes, you can paint or stain before cutting.

2 Likes

Not a problem. I pre-paint and clear coat birch all the day.

Alcohol ink markers are fantastic but I would recommend masking your material before engraving or cutting. The char from the laser will be extremely difficult to remove from the alcohol ink marker projects.

4 Likes

I been wanting to share this with you for a long time ——you have an incredibly beautiful website!!!

I absolutely love your over the door signs!!!

2 Likes

I often wondered if a pre-stained / pre-painted piece of wood when its zapped with the laser adds to the sticky residue in the smoke…

-J

1 Like

I think the sticky residue would be from the masking paper.

1 Like

Thank you so much everyone!! Im going to go ahead and give it a try! So excited! <3

1 Like

Do you have that link handy? I’d like to see the signs! Thanks

1 Like

I apologize but this post is two years old and I don’t remember

If you’re referring to @dan84’s site, they say here that they’re on Etsy so you might be able to search for it.