ALERT - Too Cold

Hello,

I’ve had my Glowforge pro since April and up until now it’s ben working well, Although it was in storage for a few months. So this year (2018) in the UK we had a pretty hot summer, the GF operated well in the heat.
Now it’s nearly November and the UK is a bit colder. My GF is in an insulated garden office, but it’s not heated overnight, so in the morning it’s chilly.

My problem is when I go to use it now I just get an amber button and the error message “Too Cold”. Then intermitently it then seems to work, I have the lid open to try to warm the GF up. It tells me “Lid Open”. I shut the lid, it does all the pre stuff, I get a blue button to GO. Then just as it starts cutting. It stops and gives me a “Too Cold” error mid cut, so I have to cancel it.

Its quite warm in the garden office once I put the heating on, I dont have a thermometer so dont know exactly the temp.

My problem is it already cost me a lot of money for the GF. Then on top of the price, the shipping to the UK cost me additional £690.49 ($879.93). If I have a sensor defect, can just a sensor be sent rather than a whole new machine?

If anyone has any remedy for the “Too Cold” Alert please let me know.

Many thanks, J

You fail to mention what the measured ambient temperature actually is near the GF…?

There are specific ranges in which it will work posted on the GF page.

60-81 Pro (you’ll need to convert to Metric :slight_smile: )

1 Like

As described in its tech specs, the operating range for the Pro is 16C-27C, as measured inside the GF. If you suspect the temp sensor in the GF itself is in error (very low probability) the only way to know for sure if you are in range is to purchase a thermometer and set it on the bed (and leave it long enough to equalize to show the actual temp).

2 Likes

Hoping the cold temperature profile hasn’t been adjusted. Last winter my current unit operated normally until the very low 50s. Only had one amber light at about 50F with no user interface warning so even that is anecdotal.

2 Likes

Thanks dwardio. I’ll purchase a thermometer and put in on the bed of the machine. I must have been on the edge of operational temperature for the GF to start a cut then abandon it. It is quite strange though! Thanks again. J

If you can’t keep some heat on at night in the garden office you might try this:

I grew up in a very cold Wyoming near Yellowstone park and we would keep a simple 100 w light bulb placed on top of the car carborator with the hood down inside a unheated garage. It kept the car warm enough to start without a head bolt heater.

Newbie here so not sure if this would help … Good luck!

5 Likes

What???

I sleep with my :glowforge: to keep it warm at night… doesn’t everyone?

7 Likes

You could speed the warming with a blow dryer for a minute or two. Once you get it firing it will warm itself.

2 Likes