Alignment off more than ever expected

Shrug. My jigs line up over and over and over regardless of machine on/off cycles, cutting 4 or 5 different ones and then putting them back in to run the jobs, etc. The only caveat to that would be removing the crumbtray and putting it back in.

In practice. Not theory.

1 Like

thanks… double checked… and it was (and still is) definitely in there without anything below -but good to look for in the future - appreciate it

Thanks for all the helpful troubleshooting questions.

@chris.mouser, can you confirm that your wire ribbon is arranged in the laser arm like it is in this photo?

If not, remove the printer head and gently rearrange the wire ribbon so that it matches the photo. Then reattach the printer head.

After your wire ribbon arrangement matches the photo, print the Gift of Good Measure on the piece of Draftboard we provided in your starter materials for troubleshooting. Be sure to place the print on the left edge of the bed.

Let us know how it goes!

For those who have trouble with the lid closing properly, try lifting up the front corner(s) of the machine and see if that affects the lid position. I found that the first desk I used for my Glowforge was not flat or sturdy enough, because it made a significant difference in the lid position to shim up the front right corner of the machine. On its current table, it doesn’t have this problem. It’s fairly sensitive as the case easily flexes.

3 Likes

I second what @chris1 said. I was using a weight on the left edge of the pre-release until I moved the machine to another surface so I could get to the fan grill in back. Sitting on the other surface I noticed that the lid had a rub where there hadn’t been one before.
When I moved the machine back to its home not only was the rub gone, but the lid shut completely. Looking at before and after pictures of the placement, it had been repositioned about 2 inches from where it had been.

The lesson is that few of the surfaces we put our lasers on is dead flat like the stone slab they calibrate it on at the factory, and the lid fit can be affected by the flatness of the surface the glowforge sits on.
Shimming under the machine can correct it, the only problem is figuring out where to place it/them.

thanks, @jaz
i will try to shoot a pic when i get home tonight…
but, YES… as far as i recall that IS how the ribbon is attached to the head.
i will print another when i get home.
let you know soon

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.