Alignment Questsion

We are having a little alignment issue with our Glowforge yesterday and today. We cleaned all the lenses and tried recalibrating the machine and it didn’t change anything. Any suggestions? One image is the bed of the glowforge and the other is what the machine sees.

IMG_2026|640x480IMG_2027%20(1)

1 Like

IMG_2026
It would only let me do one image at a time.

There is nothing wrong with the alignment. The cutting area is currently limited to 19.5 inches wide by 11 inches tall, and the camera view is set to show us only the area that we can cut. (In other words, we cannot see the half inch of space on the left side of the material in the camera view, and we currently cannot cut on it from the left side.)

If they showed us the whole bed, people would think they could cut on it. You can cut almost all the way to the right edge of the material though, so if you want to maximize your design placement on the material, put the corner of the material on the front right corner of the grid area of the tray. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I think I’m missing something in the photos. What is the alignment issue you’re seeing?

Thank you. Our edge is more like almost an inch but your explanation makes sense. I will try using the right side. We are still very new to any type of design/laser cutting. It also looked less dark yesterday. Maybe the lighting in the room is different.

1 Like

Complete SWAG on my part, but could your Win10 device’s screen brightness have been changed (or is auto-brightness enabled)? Won’t matter to the GFUI, but can vastly change how you see the screen. Auto-brightness can be disabled if desired. May not have anything to do with what you reported, but perhaps… :+1:

I have been fighting this a lot. once the design is settled in it will repeat the same. However what you see as the design and what you cut are not the same due to an extreme parallax of the camera being close and wide angle.

What I have been doing a lot is placing a rectangle around the design and when I think I am close, I cut the rectangle at 500 speed and 5% power. this will barely mark the covering paper but leave a very slight burn at the corners that are great for seeing where the actual cut will be, then a bit of Kentucky windage and you will be very close

1 Like

Thanks, @Jules, that’s right! Your Glowforge can currently print up to 11 x 19.5 in. Engravings take extra room to speed up and slow down, so the area may be a bit smaller. We’re working on software improvements that will increase the printable area.

If you run into any other trouble, please start a new thread or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!