Alignment way off without opening the lid at all.. this is new

It’s a good reminder to everyone to test often since the backend is undergoing constant updates.

6 Likes

Such an important cautionary tale.

What works one day can change in a flash. (techy pun)

Lesson learned is that if it’s mission critical (you’ve got expensive material in there), a test run is needed every_single_time you run.

I can’t stress enough the need for GF to alert us to any changes in behavior, posted within the GFUI, prior to running a job that uses any settings that have been affected by a change.

NO! This has to be heard.

Edit: GF should reimburse you for your wasted material.

7 Likes

Out of curiosity, were the backs and fronts in a single file where you ignored one side and then flipped the material and changes the ignores?

Or even 2 separate files setup with the same locations for graphics?

As long as you don’t try to eyeball everything repeatability had been good, even across files.

The thing biting me it’s autosave…

1 Like

It was one file that I just scooted off the backs to the side (which BTW I was SO grateful to see that there was an out of bounds we could use like Illustrator!) and then I put the pieces back in after I flipped them over and they cut about .25" off from where I put them. The first cut was off too, but I didn’t think about it… so I guess that was my bad. :slight_smile: I was doing very small and detailed things this way a couple of weeks ago and it was DEAD on perfect… that is why I was so grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrred about this.

3 Likes

I’ve been planning some two-sided work, and my thought is to put alignment holes/marks off to the side/corners, similar to how newspapers and cereal boxes have for color alignment…

Has anyone else done this or similar? I’d hate to rely on the camera even if both sides were being printed back-to-back…

If you’re planning to cut the material as well as engrave it on both sides, it’s super simple.

2 Likes

Thank you, Jules. Much more accurate than trying to use the camera to re-align with marks/holes…

1 Like

I’m sorry that happened, @rubbersoul79. Could you please let me know if you’re still experiencing this issue?

And that’s why exhaustive testing should take place prior to rolling something out.

1 Like

True, but even with exhaustive testing, bugs always have a chance of making
it through.

1 Like

Of course. I’m not talking about things “having a chance.” I’m saying it’s NOT okay that “bugs are likely every time they roll something out.” That simply shouldn’t be likely with proper testing. In fact, it should very much be un likely.

I’m a network engineer. Before I roll something out that will affect a large population, I test with every scenario I can think of… “People here use this.” “People there use that.” “These folks use this hardware.” etc. And all of that testing happens in an isolated space first, then with a small test group in an actual production environment. After extensive testing by that test group, then it can be rolled out to production. The chances of a bug at that point is very slim.

And, to be clear… I’m not saying that Glowforge doesn’t test properly. I have no idea what their rollout procedure looks like.

2 Likes

I’m not disagreeing with you at all. It’s just the “chances of a bug [being] very slim” does not mean no chance. I get a little frustrated when folks expect software or hardware to be 100% bug free; it’s just not realistic.

2 Likes

I get more frustrated when we automatically point to S/W updates as the source of all our problems.

3 Likes

Actually ran a few yesterday, and my placement has improved a great deal. Still not perfect, but a lot closer.

It’s just something we need to work around for now, there are going to be changes once in a while when they work in the background. We just need to remember it’s not permanent. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Unfortunately, this is exactly what happens when you get a reputation for frequently rolling out software updates (some that have been known to change fundamental operating characteristics) without any notice to your rapidly growing user base.

If they would announce maintenance windows during which changes were being rolled out, people would be less apt to blame everything on there being some unknown software change.

(It would also help if those software changes hadn’t gained a reputation for breaking things, too. Oh, and Release Notes. Those would be great. :wink: )

7 Likes

On my phone, I wait a few days after a new software update to see if any major problems arise. I have avoided major headaches just by waiting and seeing. It would be great if, like PRU users, there was a beta group that could pound on it for a week before the rest of us opt in. I understand that the cloud makes this hard. There would have to be two cloud versions.

1 Like

Dang. I’d love to know what software y’all are running. Every piece of software (or hardware with accompanying software) I own either A. Continuously pushes updates to address bugs, or B. Doesn’t continuously push updates and bugs just live on.

1 Like

I disagree. I think you should expect your software to be bug-free. And I think that’s part of the problem with today’s programming culture… it’s become acceptable to release software with bugs and just fix them later. In Glowforge’s case, that’s absolutely fine. It’s a beta release. It can absolutely have bugs both known and unknown. But if it there’s ever a release version, one should expect it to be bug-free.

2 Likes

I guess as a cyber security guy, I expect that no matter how well things are tested, someone will always find a way to break it.

3 Likes

Of course we all know that neatly all that we will see here is the 1 person who gets the bug.(Not really 1 but you know what I mean.)
Rare is the person who shouts praises for all to hear and quick is the afflicted to rant for all. Squeaky wheel and all that.