Alignment WAY off

Hey guys, It’s been 2 weeks since I fired up my :glowforge:. First off when I turned it on when the head calibrated to the left it made that awful grinding sound it makes a lot with my machine. I shut it down and centered the head under the camera. The Y axis when moving kinda moves clunky and sounds bad unlike the X (head) which sounds smooth when moving. So anyway, I set up an engrave and cut but when I tried to print it was about an INCH off! I canceled the job then had the machine recalibrate but now it is off and inch the opposite way it was before! HELP!

1 Like

I have also had calibration issues that have seemed to be getting worse and worse. My images have been about half an inch off from where the camera has them lined up no matter where I have the material on the bed. It’s very frustrating, but we just had an update, so I’m hoping there will be another patch soon.

1 Like

Yeah I am used to about a .125" but this was WAY off.

Are you saying when you move the gantry under the camera, you can actually hear something? It’s not smooth when you move it manually I mean? If so, check the rails to ensure there’s no dirt or something.

Yeah When I move the Y axis (tube gantry) it is pretty noisy and not smooth like the head. It’s been that way since I got it. Not when it’s running, just when I manually move it.

Okay. I hate to state what is likely obvious to you… Something’s wrong.
It should be a relatively smooth motion when you manually move the gantry with the power off. (One should never attempt to move it while on/engaged.) It makes a slight sound when you move it, but it should be… how can I put it… what you’d consider to be a slight, normal sound. Nothing you’d ever classify as “noisy.”

I hesitate to suggest anything else for you to try. Support should reply to you soon. I hope it’s a simple fix!

1 Like

Ok Weirdness. Now the tube gantry is moving fine manually. What the fudgecrackin’ honeysmackin’!? I’m gonna test the calibration now.

The works may have been gummed up.

I’m a little worried that maybe you moved it while it was on. That would likely cause a bumpy resistance and likely a not good sound. Hopefully no damage either way.

See if you can run a job and see what happens.

I had the machine off. I just tried it and it is working but still the alignment is off by about 1/4" which I have never experienced before. At most it has been 1/8" and under but never this far off.

Can you grab a new example of how it’s off? This job, did it make any bad sounds or anything?

The alignment is off more than it has been on the X axis by 1/8" or more (so total 1/4"). No bad sounds on the job though. I know there is a huge 1/4" alignment window but this machine has never been off as much as this.

Sorry… My point in asking was for Support to see it, not me. :slight_smile:
As you may have read, over the past couple of weeks they’ve rolled out a lens correction. It’s quite possible they got your prescription wrong and need to push a new set of software glasses to your machine. So I thought it might be a good idea to show the disparity you’re talking about.

1 Like

As @Tom_A said, I’d like to learn a little more. Would you please:

• Turn off your Glowforge

• Check for small pieces of debris or dust

• Check the lower door to make sure it closes all the way. It may require some force to open, but open it, wipe any dust off the edges, and close it all the way.
    • Remove the tray and clean any dust or debris from the surface underneath. Pay careful attention to remove all debris from the four dimples where the tray rests.
    • Check the lid to make sure it closes all the way. Small particles of material, such as dust or debris, can prevent it from closing completely.
  • Check the surface your Glowforge is on to make sure it’s flat. Ensure it is not twisted slightly and that there is no debris propping up one side of the machine.

• Turn your Glowforge back on

• We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with your materials shipment for troubleshooting. Place Proofgrade Draftboard in the center of the bed and print the Gift of Good Measure using the default settings

• When the print finishes, without moving your artwork or your material, take a screenshot of the workspace to show us the difference between the artwork placement and the actual print placement. Make sure to include the rulers in your screenshot and show as much of the bed as possible.

• Mac: Press Shift-Command-4 and click and drag a box around your image. You’ll find the screenshot file saved on your desktop.
    • Windows: Click on the Start Menu and search for the Snipping Tool. Open the Snipping Tool > New then click and drag a box around your image. Click the Save icon and name and save your file.
  • Send us the screenshot along with the date and time of the print, and we’ll investigate more. Thanks!

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.