All things marble

All thanks to @MyDogsThinkImCrazy she gave me all the tips and the great ideas to make this :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If I purchase ‘off the shelf’ from the store, how would a novice like myself know if it is “honed” or “polished”? That might be a really stupid question but I don’t want to mess up a print if in fact I needed to run it twice and I didn’t and have already removed the item from the unit.

On the pink or tan ones, What are you using to fill the engrave? And are you sealing them, with what?

Are you looking to run it on an item for personal use? I always recommend personal use to make sure you are fine if it is not as planned. I am not sure what store you are looking at for marble but the pictures in the post should help decide what you would be looking at.

Hopefully that makes sense lol. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just bought some coasters at ROSS and plan on engraving them. First, how to tell the difference between the Honed and Polished? Second, what do you use to fill the engrave? Third, sealer do you seal with anything? I’m sorry, I have looked at 2 of your posts and haven’t seen a comparison of the honed v polished. I just play with the glowforge for persona; use and a few gifts here and there.

Those are likely honed. I have not seen ROSS have polished. I would go to Kohls or Bed Bath and Beyond type store and see if the have a fox run pastry board. Once you look at that, you will know the difference. World market also has a good amount of polished. You likely have only ever seen honed. Polished stands out in such a way that you will automatically know which is which. Polished has the wet glass look.

4 Likes

Polished marble is shiny and reflects light, honed marble is dull and absorbs light. You might get good results using stone countertop sealer or maybe minwax over the colored engraving, but I’m not sure how necessary it is since the engraving itself won’t degrade, and you can just add a bit more color if it fades over time.

3 Likes