Also having the "Lid Open" error message

Hello GF team! I’m having the exact same problem as described in this thread:

Namely, no matter what I do, the GFUI shows the “Lid Open” message in the upper right corner whenever the GF is powered on. Normally, when powering on the unit, it will do the standard calibration procedure. But since last night when I printed my last job, it has consistently indicated the lid as being open, and the calibration procedure also does not occur. I’ve cleaned the crumb try area and door hinges, and checked all the alignment as suggested in the above post. Everything looks fine.

What can I do? Did you guys learn anything from the last case that might be helpful in further troubleshooting this one? Perhaps if I knew a little bit more technically about how the lid open detection actually works, I could troubleshoot a little further.

Thanks,
Ryan

One thing to check, especially if you have a Pro model, is to make sure that the front drop-down door is completely pushed closed. It’s a tight fit sometimes with those shields in there, and if the panel isn’t completely closed, the magnetic latch isn’t engaged.

Thanks Jules. It’s a standard model, and the front door is indeed shut tight and aligned with the magnets.

Did you try cleaning the metal that makes contact and tells its closed?

And wipe along the inside lip (I had a tiny bead size piece of wood that kept one side ever so slightly open - didn’t even notice by looking and closing lid…)

2 Likes

Phil, what metal contact is that? I’ve cleaned all the bits I can find. Door edges, magnets, metal strips along either side of the base opening where the lid contacts, etc. Still no love!

Ah ha! Progress, but not good news. I’ve discovered that the lid open sensing is based on magnetic influence from the front door magnets on the two rubber feet that are on the lid lip edge, under which presumably are magnetic sensors. If I place a strong neodymium magnet against each of those two rubber feet while the lid is open, the system then reports the lid as being closed and the calibration routine begins. It does not calibrate correctly, probably because the lid camera can’t see the bed when the lid is open.

So, an obvious possibility is that something has changed in regards to the magnetic relationship between the front door magnets and the lid’s rubber feet sensors. Could the door magnet fields have been weakened/changed/altered by the 1" neo disc magnets I frequently use to hold down materials, even just in passing? That seems doubtful. Same question for the lid sensors? The lid definitely is closed all the way and so is the door; they aren’t going to get any closer.

Agree. I use them all the time and have no issues.

I’m so sorry about the trouble! Thanks for letting us know the steps you took and the results you saw. That’s extremely helpful to know. I’m looking into this now and I’ll follow up just as soon as I have next steps. I appreciate your patience in the meantime.

You can use magnets to fool the system. But I would recommend against it as that presents obvious safety concerns. I’m sure Support’ll get you going soon enough! :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, it looks like your unit is experiencing an issue that we can’t resolve remotely. I want you to have a reliable unit, so I’m recommending we replace this one. I’ll be in touch via email to sort out the details. I’m so sorry about the bad news.