Amazon Astro Platform

Thanks for that info…that’s good to know. I bought him an Apple watch a while back, but he has severe neuropathy in his hands (and feet) and was unable to use it…plus, he no longer uses a cell phone either…for the same reasons. (I am aware that I would set it all up using my own phone, etc. and that he wouldn’t need to do that himself) Using a watch for that one purpose (and actually a complete and total answer to the falling problem) would work, but I think we’ll find multiple uses of Astro.

2 Likes

I think my cat would happily murder this. It’s also very cool.

3 Likes

I assumed the screen would show a face most of the time but if it is just like an Alexa Show screen, that ain’t so interesting.

2 Likes

That looks like a big robotic jumping spider. :grinning:

2 Likes

Yeah it does actually! It’s some little desktop robot toy, just the first thing that came to mind when I was thinking of the screen as the face.

1 Like

Please ask him to build me one. And if it could just go after my husband I will pay him double.

4 Likes

I was going to tell you the same thing @randy.cohen did. A more high tech “I’ve fallen and can’t get up” button. It will call loved ones or I believe even 911 if it detects a fall and he doesn’t cancel it. He doesn’t have to do a thing to the watch. Something to think about if he is in the yard away from Astro. I think Apple watches and similar tech are going to become invaluable for us as we become older.

2 Likes

He is no longer able to go out anywhere away from the house. Only time he’s out is when we’re just going to or from the car for an appt. or whatever. If there were not other features that we want to use with Astro, I certainly would easily have gone with an apple watch…simple and less expensive, too. Thanks for your input.

1 Like

I am excited that you are getting an Astro. I know you and your husband thoroughly researched the matter and have decided it is the best option. You two are taking advantage of your youthful thinking and moving along with cutting edge tech. Very cool.

5 Likes

Ha ha…yes, thank you! Thankful that we still have that much of our youth left to us…and it is lots of fun. :hugs:

2 Likes

My mom (age 89) just got an Apple Watch for the fall detection purpose. She can’t stand the life alert device she was using. Just be aware that the older models don’t have this feature, so check your existing one (I know the Apple Watch 3 doesn’t have it) to be sure. And you do have to turn it on, I don’t think it’s on by default.

6 Likes

My mom (98 this month) has a Lifeline. It has gone off two times, and both when she was bouncing around on the golf course. All devices have their limitations. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

I recall reading a news article that various watches were calling 911 for their owners, while on roller coasters.

3 Likes

Final version of my platform. Original effort was top-heavy and oversized. The penguins are cool with it.

10 Likes

Thanks for the tip. We don’t have that watch of his anymore, so if we went that route we’d have to buy a new one, which I’m sure would be the latest iOS version.

2 Likes

That’s funny…a roving Christmas light display!

2 Likes

Thank you for the huge smile.

2 Likes

That is too cute!

2 Likes