Amber light and tiny bubbles?

Also guilty of catchy subject lines on the reports I send - I guess I should cut that out. But I do add the machine name in the title so they know which one it is they’re dealing with.

6 Likes

Well, I will be getting my 3rd Glowforge shipping stuff by tomorrow I was just informed.
I just have to laugh at it all. @dan it is time to take UPS off any sort of gift list you may have :slight_smile:

10 Likes

This is starting to get really annoying for you I’m sure and the 95% of us waiting for our units. There has to be some alternatives for shipping. I hate to say it but time to start thinking outside the box for a solution.

3 Likes

the problem is that any ‘outside-of-the-box’ shipping solution is liable to cost even more than replacing the damaged parts here and there.

the answer is probably just to keep refining factory qa and slowly upgrading the box.

3 Likes

Well we’re aware of two people on their third units, shipping the broken ones back, so I’m not sure it’s parts here and there.

2 Likes

All of my subject lines start with “Pre-Release Report”. I figure they can sort/re-read it easier without needing to read it. Can even automate it. I would expect all emails from PRU recipients are auto-routed somewhere to be dealt with. That way we don’t gum up the works.

1 Like

I do pretty much the same thing except I number them.

1 Like

yes although we have no proof either way knowing what damage is a result of shipping and which may be qa failures just now showing up as they increase production.

2 Likes

I seem to recall @dan saying something about testing the units where they use a different tray ‘so they don’t dirty ours up’.
I would expect their tests are pretty comprehensive.

3 Likes

True and it’s concerning that with such a small number appearing to have been shipped that such a significant number are having fatal issues and going back.

3 Likes

I think that’s probably a natural evolution in the initial shipping , especially something of the size and weight of a glowforge. It also explains why shipping starts slow. Imagine if they had thrown 10,000 of them out there.

The company has to expect a failure rate, that’s a given. The key is to get it as low as possible because it will likely ramp in lockstep with production.
We are just witnessing that evolution.

1 Like

of course it is. it doesn’t mean it isn’t a little concerning that they’re having clear scaling issues, though.

3 Likes

My wonders if they did go to bigger numbers would ups accept a palletized blocks of gf’s to a region and then break it down in the last leg or would they still treat them as individual units one at a time. If as a pallet the chances are alot less for damage

1 Like

I think that might be a problem for UPS as their logistics (automated sorting systems, etc) are more geared towards small package routing and delivery. That sort of distribution would probably be more suited for companies that deal in freight.

2 Likes