Another Big Shaker In Calif

Aftershock here in California little after 8:00 p.m. felt bigger than the first one.

7 Likes

Oh no! Hope you and yours are all safe. :pleading_face:

1 Like

Yep. Early reports say bigger than the original. USGS servers are overwhelmed, so can’t get good data.

Cats do not approve.

6 Likes

All is fine, nerves getting thin. 6.9 then upgraded to 7.1

6 Likes

And that’s why I’ll stay here with the hurricanes…we get plenty of warning…

5 Likes

The report I saw said it was 7.1 and was 11 miles from Ridgecrest. My friends camping at Landcaster 4 0 miles away said it lasted 40 seconds and was the longest shake they’ve ever felt. :grimacing:

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/#{

4 Likes

Quite a few shocks since.

1 Like

Stay safe, GF friends!

Sure hoping it stays quiet, that was too much shaking.

Yikes- Saw on TV So many foreshocks and aftershocks! I hope everyone is well. I had not realized how variable earthquakes could be. I noticed that the big one recently just south of Mexico city was a one-off not even small aftershocks recorded, while most have the big hit first and not two days and dozens of smaller shocks first.

2 Likes

Right?! My cat was not too happy. Just another reason to run and hide under the bed.

2 Likes

I once experienced two 7. something earthquakes in Japan. One was the jarring kind that was like the world getting hit with a hammer. The other was the swirly kind, like spinning ice cubes in a glass. In both cases, many of my books were on the floor.

Last night, I felt the swirly kind. We think we now need a pendulum for the house. Guess who gets to make it with a GF? (yay!) Thinking cap activated…

Now, I just need to figure out where to place this project on the long list of projects I’ve collected. :thinking:

7 Likes

Jarry or swirly…I would be terrified. Of course, here in Oregon we’re in the same queue waiting for the Big One. My only experience with one at all was a very small one here…and it colored my whole day. I am not a seasoned earthquake veteran at all.

I lived in the Midwest US for 5 years. I thought tornadoes were the most frightening thing I ever experienced.

Just make sure everything is earthquake safe in the house. For instance, my GF is on a very sturdy table far away from anything that could fall on it! Also, don’t watch San Andreas. :scream: The acting alone is enough to scar a person. :rofl:

7 Likes

Ha ha! Well, never heard of it anyway, so no worries there. Yes…I can’t imagine a tornado either…but at least that’s probably not going to be the cause of our demise here in the PNW.

4 Likes

Many years ago I invented a pendulum tied to a trigger that would automatically shut off a gas line when an Earthquake hit. If widely used they would prevent most of the fires caused by earthquakes, sequestering the gas so that no place would have enough to start a big fire. Once each area was tested the shut off could be manually reset.

I got a total lack of interest, and a claim they already existed, so eventually dropped the idea. But every time there is a big earthquake you see plenty of such fires, :disappointed:

6 Likes

assistance and adoption are very different things.

Unless you live on a Island and all flights are cancelled :scream::scream::scream:

3 Likes

Yes and the danger of earthquakes and volcanoes included but beautiful weather otherwise.

2 Likes

experienced my first (and only) earthquake in virginia in 2011. far more disturbing when you’re in a place you would never expect one. i was in a brand new building (ft belvoir community hospital) with a photographer planning the photo shoot over the next week. it started off sounding like either a small explosion or a huge truck hitting the building, which seemed appropriate on a military base. then realized it was probably an earthquake. then remembered someone talking about some seismic engineering challenges with the building and grabbed my team and got out quickly.

no serious damage to the building, which was good because it opened a couple of weeks later. but it did mess up the exterior lighting and we didn’t find out until we were there at 5am the next morning trying to get the dawn money shot and all the lights in the center of the building didn’t turn on. :angry:

4 Likes