Another Box - G-ma's 100th birthday

Grandma turned 100 the other day. She’s amazing and wonderful. Her Dad used to make wooden boxes a lot.

Decided to urethane this one. Had forgotten how much I hate the stuff. Overall it’s not bad. I’m fixated on the imperfections, of course, but overall happy enough. Inside is danish oil finish with a velvet pillow I sewed. The word inlays, especially with curly font, are a huge pain in the arse. Bloodwood inlay in Curly Maple.

34 Likes

She’s going to treasure that for the next 100 years! Well done on the inlay, and the finger joints.

3 Likes

Wow, amazing inlay!

3 Likes

A beautiful box, and love those two woods together. The tree is awesome also!

2 Likes

Thanks! It was also a pain to get out in one piece!

2 Likes

I’m sure, but certainly worth it!

2 Likes

Sweet.

2 Likes

Beautiful box and sentiment.

2 Likes

Wow a truly awesome treasure to be prized for generations to come.

2 Likes

Happy Birthday G-ma! A wonderful tribute sure to be cherished…

2 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like

A gift from the heart! Nice craftmanship. Very nice!!

2 Likes

That’s beautiful! I know she will be delighted with it!

4 Likes

What a wonderful gift, and what a fine lady your grandmother must be to inspire something so lovely… Beautiful work!

3 Likes

Amazing woman. Raised 5 daughters almost alone after grandpa had a heart attack. Engineer who was a project boss in a time when that just wasn’t done. Ran a girl scout troop that taught girls of all races and abilities to backpack. Taught me to crochet. Still travelling to see her great grandchildren. Amazing, fantastic, sweet, loving woman, my Grandma.

6 Likes

What a sweet gift. I really like the inlay.

2 Likes