Another can't cut all the way through material

I have tried using set focus after recalibrating the machine, same results. I entered depth manually on PG and otherwise and it still didn’t cut through. Very abnormal behavior.

Definitely a focus issue - look into the head itself - see if there’s any debris that might be stopping the magnet from being able to move the lens. I guess it’s possible that the physical mechanism was broken in transfer, but it would seem unlikely, so look for a simpler answer :slight_smile:

1 Like

If the glass part of the lens and the metal part of the lens are no longer glued/stuck together as they were from the factory, that might explain things being out of focus. You’ve definitely narrowed the problem down to a focus issue. If it’s not the lens, then the print head is the problem. Do you have a second lens you can try? Spares are available from the Glowforge Store:

2 Likes

Thanks, yeah, I can’t see anything in the head itself. Fan is clear of debris, the focus mechanism seems to move freely. I’ll start with ordering a new lens and see where we go from there.

Appreciated! I’ll grab a new lens and see what happens. Thanks!

Hi @vitaetmusica - sorry for our delay in getting back to you!

Looking at things on my end I’m not seeing any ‘under the hood’ trouble, so I believe moving forward with replacing this lens to see if things improve is a good step. Please let us know how it goes!

1 Like

Thank you! Got it ordered and will follow up.

1 Like

Got the new lens. Cleaned all windows again, checked to make sure the housing/focus motor was free of any debris. Unfortunately it made zero difference. Same exact problem. Tried cutting through acrylic, and it barely even cuts through the tape, line is too thick. Tried PG settings and manual. So, on the bright side, I guess I have an extra lens that I may need someday. Anything else I should check?

Hello @vitaetmusica - I’m sorry to hear you’re still having this trouble.

Based off everything we’ve looked into, it looks like this may actually be an issue with the printer head in your printer, and I’d like to look into getting that replaced for you.

I’ll be sending a follow up email to you so we can talk through those logistics and get you all taken care of, please keep an eye out!

Since we’ll be moving to email I’m going to close this topic as well. Thanks!