Another dive bar band creation

I play in a classic hard rock band the has gigs a 2 or 3 times a month. At a lot of the small dive bars we play at, we are responsible for having someone man the door if we plan to collect a cover, and every now and then we either can’t find anyone or someone we thought was working the door for us cancels at the last minute. It looks like that might happen to us for our gig tonight, so yesterday I stopped and bought a cheap wooden box from Michael’s ($5 with coupon) and made this. I figure the “honor system” is better than nothing!

50247420_2380499542208211_5006639889433755648_n

19 Likes

Great idea! (Hope it works!) Good luck! :smile:

3 Likes

Thanks. It might be full of loose change, crumpled receipts, and pocket lint at the end of the night… who knows!

3 Likes

A dive bar with alcohol, distracting light, loud music and a dropbox full of money near the door. What could possibly go wrong?

7 Likes

But you’ll still have a cool box out of the deal. :wink:
(Sorry, it’s that perpetual perkiness popping up again.)

2 Likes

The place we’re playing tonight is so small that if somebody tried to reach into the box I could smack 'em with my guitar neck from where I stand . :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Verdict after the first gig – $80 in the honor box at the end of the night. SUCCESS!

7 Likes

Speaks highly for the folks you play for. :thinking:

3 Likes

If you make small tokens with the next venu or the web page saying where you will be and make a nice design on the other side they can show them to their friends and bring more folk. Alternatively they could be a back stage pass or front row seating etc.

Yeah, that doesn’t sound like a big city crowd. Congratulations! :smile:

3 Likes

Well Richmond isn’t a “big city” no… although the area is a little sketchy. But it’s a small enough bar with enough regulars that I wasn’t worried about it.

2 Likes

Chain that sucker down so no one walks off with it!

2 Likes

A great idea!

1 Like