Another Grab Bag of Stuff Made Recently

Oh that is a nice step up from the unstained version

2 Likes

Thanks, I like the reversal of contrast it gave. Would def stain first next time prior to wrapping to make staining evenly a bit simpler.

3 Likes

I love this stained version! Looks like itā€™s been in your back pocket for years.

3 Likes

Splotchy on leather isnā€™t a bad thing. Thatā€™s what I tell myself at least.

2 Likes

Many artisans actually strive for that effect :wink:

In this case (and IME) I suspect that some of the splotchy is due to the charring from the engrave spreading/bleeding out in to the dye. I havenā€™t yet figured out how to avoid it completely. Scrubbing gently with a sponge or toothbrush, rinsing the leather off and air drying for a bit before adding color seems to help, but does not completely alleviate the effect.

The idea to dye in advance might work, though you might have to stick with water based dyes for that. Not sure that oil or alcohol dyes would be great to laser.

PS. @newbies_234 I donā€™t think the variegated color looks bad here. Almost looks like you hit it with an antiquing gel!

4 Likes

I really like the variegated look- definitely more elegant than unstained.

1 Like

Each project is distinctly intriguing. The finished flask looks great, especially with uneven color. And the cherry trophy with green acrylic is striking!

2 Likes

Nice, I see the angle now. Itā€™s not a bit splotchy because I am a rookie. Itā€™s an artisan finish done totally on purpose. Price just went up! :smiley:

5 Likes